My God, it's full of stars!
And the Lord did say, "Lay down thy votes on those to be judged before thee".
Today as usual we have we have our all society meeting in MR4/5 from 1-2pm. We will be drawing running order for Heat 3 so at least one member of each band for tomorrow will need to be there, and a member from all other bands in the society. Credits will be available to buy!
Bandsoc exec xo
Comments and scores from the Judges can be read here.
For more live music, come along to Heat 3, same time, same venue.(Zephyr Lounge, 7.30pm)
As we come to the end of a very busy term 1 it's time to start looking ahead to Battle of the Bands 2017! Bandsoc has been running this event annually for many years and it's become a well-founded tradition, with 30 acts battling it out over the term for the grand prize of a free day in a studio and an entry in the Bandsoc Hall of Fame. The event will run every thursday Week 2 - Week 9, with the heats and semis in Zephyr Lounge and the grand final in Copper Rooms 1, This will be the only event we run as a society across the next term, so if you want to gig make sure you enter.
Sign ups are NOW OPEN.
We welcome all genres, acts, solo artists and of course bands. Please note every member of your band must have bought society membership and signed up for an account on our website. When you sign up please make sure you read through the rules and competition outline - there's some useful information there about how the competition works, how its judged and what you need to look out for. If you have any questions at all do drop the exec a message.
Sign ups will close on the first monday of term 2, however due to the large influx of new bands this term we may fill up all 30 slots earlier than normal, so make sure you sign up ASAP.
Each band must also email to the exec (firstname.lastname@example.org) by the end of registrations -
- Band Name
- A logo (dimensions 3x4)
- A Tagline
- A short (paragraph) description
- Your line up (all the instruments you have, how many vocals, any specific tech requirements. If this changes you must let the exec know)
Here are a few things to note -
- We encourage you to perform originals, covers will lose you marks
- Don't be worried about the judging, this is a great opportunity to get productive feedback on your performance and songwriting
- Set lengths are: Heats = 15 minutes, Semis/Finals = 20 minutes
- We will do a draw in week 1 to decide who's in what heat, then a weekly draw at the wednesday ASM to decide running and sound check orders for that weeks heat.
- Backline (Guitar/Bass amps, Drums and a keyboard) will be provided, as well as PA and a sound engineer. Just bring your instruments
Registration Deadline: Tuesday Week 1 (10/1/17)
Heat Draw: Wednesday Week 1 (11/1/17)
Heat 1: Thursday Week 2 (19/1/17)
Heat 2: Thursday Week 3 (26/2/17)
Heat 3: Thursday Week 4 (2/2/17)
Heat 4: Thursday Week 5 (9/2/17)
Curry Social with RAW (No Heat): Thursday Week 6 (16/2/17)
Heat 5: Thursday Week 7 (23/2/17)
Semi-final: Thursday Week 8 (2/3/17)
Final: Thursday Week 9 (9/3/17)
That's a lot of information! But be excited, BOTB is the biggest event we do all year and this is the largest student-run BOTB in the country. It's a great opportunity to stretch yourself musically, improve and of course have fun gigging. As always, if you have any questions get in touch.