Any Man: A Novel

Any Man: A Novel

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

I also want to note I really respect Tamblyn's decision for Maude's intention- it's not as simple as you may think.

Amber Tamblyn uses a variety of writing styles here to bring you a story that's not about the victimizer, but about the victims. In this electric and provocative debut novel, Tamblyn blends genres of poetry, prose, and elements of suspense to give shape to the shocking narratives of victims of sexual violence, mapping the destructive ways in which our society perpetuates rape culture. I actually thought about writing a character based on Yiannopoulos (who, like I said, is vile, but also kind of fascinates me in a ‘watching-a-trainwreck’ way) but I guess Tamblyn beat me to it.

She says all women have had to become teachers, for better or worse, showing the men in their lives how the negative aspects of patriarchy affect every gender.

The book’s furious empathy is for victims of sexual assault, and especially the way they are futher assaulted and depersonalized by sensationalist news and social media. It took all the feelings of guilt and shame of being a survivor of sexual assault into words that I hadn’t been able to find myself. One of the most revelatory chapters in the book, however, is comprised solely of fictional tweets from real people and entities, like Katy Perry, CNN, HelloGiggles, Bill O’Reilly, Roxane Gay and Mike Cernovich, as though they were tweeting about the victims in the book.It is our intent and purpose to foster and encourage in-depth discussion about all things related to books, authors, genres, or publishing in a safe, supportive environment. ANY MAN is filled with society's clichés, yet doesn't rely on those clichés to set the storyline forward.

If anybody else has read this book I’d love to discuss it, so feel free to leave me a comment and get a conversation going!What You Need to Know: This is a story about the male victims of a serial rapist known only as "Maude". It’s about how survivors grapple with their new reality and their upended perception of themselves, their relationships, their bodies and the world around them.

Still, from this forced break, she was able to absorb copious amounts of media that would then inform the chapters of her book. Each victim was intended to hair his own voice and narrative, but all the voices and stories blended together.I started reading this in the morning and I didn’t put it down until I read the last page that evening. I did enjoy the Twitter section - I think this was a good way of showing how violence like this is glamorized and portrayed in the media, and which sensationalized stories truly garner the public’s attention. It kind of annoyed me that there were no chapters marked with who's POV it was, but each character is so unique that it's easy to distinguish their voices.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop