Iliad - translated by Robert Fagles

Iliad - translated by Robert Fagles

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

In 1978, Fagles published I, Vincent: Poems from the Pictures of Van Gogh. He was the co-editor of Homer: A Collection of Critical Essays (1962) and Pope's Iliad and Odyssey (1967). Homer, einer der frühsten Dichter des westlichen Teils von Europa… seine Werke „Ilias“ & „Odyssee“ zählen zu den ältesten fiktionalen Werken der Weltliteratur.

The Iliad Summary and Study Guide | SuperSummary The Iliad Summary and Study Guide | SuperSummary

For those who don't understand, the Iliad does not include the fall of Troy, the wooden horse, nor even the death of Achilles. They're all (save for the wooden horse) alluded to, foreshadowed, and set up throughout the poem, but they're not described or shown. Long story short; no pay off. The poem ends before any of that occurs. Fagles was nominated for the National Book Award in Translation and won the Harold Morton Landon Translation Award of the Academy of American Poets in 1991 for his translation of the Iliad. In 1996, he received an Academy Award in Literature from the American Academy of Arts and Letters for his translation of the Odyssey. In 1997 he received the PEN/Ralph Manheim Medal for lifetime achievement in translation. Fagles later undertook a new English translation of the Aeneid, which was published in November 2006. A work of tremendous influence that has inspired writers from his ancient Greek contemporaries to modernist writers such as T.S. Eliot, Homer's epic poem The Iliad is translated by Robert Fagles with an introduction and notes by Bernard Knox in Penguin Classics. Combining the skills of a poet and scholar, Robert Fagles brings the energy of contemporary language to this enduring heroic epic. He maintains the drive and metric music of Homer’s poetry, and evokes the impact and nuance of the Iliad’s mesmerizing repeated phrases in what Peter Levi calls “an astonishing performance.”The spark that ignites the Greeks’ legendary struggle to take golden Troy is the abduction of the beautiful Helen by Paris, son of King Priam. However, it is a single episode in the siege’s tenth and final year, the quarrel between Agamemnon and Achilles, which Homer takes as the thread that binds the ensuing tragedy. Admist the violence, Homer’s characters, whether gods or men, are presented with subtle realism, revealing that the passions and problems that beset humanity are both timeless and universal. This is the war that started it all. The legend that became a culture, converted into fiction, comic books and movies. The most meaningless yet brutal war that took two decades, thousands of good men and gods wasted their everything to become a part of. This is the one and only: Iliad and Odyssey. First the adventure is wild from the start. Fighting the Cyclopes and winning made me think that no matter what the size of the person or object I can win if I put my mind to it and want it bad enough. Adventure keeps me reading the book. If the book doesn’t have adventure I will close the book and go do something else with my time but I didn’t have to do that once with this book. Together these two works attributed to Homer are considered among the oldest surviving works of Western literature, dating to probably the eighth century BCE, and are certainly among the most influential. I can't believe I once found Homer boring. In my defense, I was a callow teen, and having a book assigned in school often tends to perversely make you hate it. But then I had a "Keats conversion experience." Keats famously wrote a poem in tribute to a translation of Homer by Chapman who, Keats wrote, opened to him "realms of gold." My Chapman was Fitzgerald, although on a reread of The Odyssey I tried the Fagles translation and really enjoyed it. Obviously, the translation is key if you're not reading in the original Greek, and I recommend looking at several side by side to see which one best suits. Lccn 89070695 Ocr ABBYY FineReader 11.0 (Extended OCR) Ocr_converted abbyy-to-hocr 1.1.11 Ocr_module_version 0.0.14 Old_pallet IA17218 Openlibrary_edition

The Iliad (penguin Classics Deluxe Edition) [PDF] The Iliad (penguin Classics Deluxe Edition) [PDF]

Then again, this story is older than the written word so you can't blame it for being outdated at times.Seven Greek cities claim the honour of being the birthplace of Homer (c. 8th-7th century BC), the poet to whom the composition of the Iliad and Odyssey are attributed. The Iliad is the oldest surviving work of Western literature, but the identity - or even the existence - of Homer himself is a complete mystery, with no reliable biographical information having survived.

The Iliad - Penguin Books UK The Iliad - Penguin Books UK

Gripping listeners and readers for more than 2,700 years, 'The Iliad' is the story of the Trojan War and the rage of Achilles. Combining the skills of a poet and scholar, Robert Fagles brings the energy of contemporary language to this enduring heroic epic. Many will disagree, and that's fair, but in my view that's a poorly structured pay-off and it hindered my enjoyment of the poem, hence my rating it 2/5 stars. One of the greatest epics in Western literature, THE ILIAD recounts the story of the Trojan wars. This timeless poem still vividly conveys the horror and heroism of men and gods battling amidst devastation and destruction, as it moves to its tragic conclusion. In his introduction, Bernard Knox observes that although the violence of the Iliad is grim and relentless, it co-exists with both images of civilized life and a poignant yearning for peace. Read more Details

Dating to the ninth century B.C., Homer’s timeless poem still vividly conveys the horror and heroism of men and gods wrestling with towering emotions and battling amidst devastation and destruction, as it moves inexorably to the wrenching, tragic conclusion of the Trojan War. Renowned classicist Bernard Knox observes in his superb introduction that although the violence of the Iliad is grim and relentless, it coexists with both images of civilized life and a poignant yearning for peace. Relish the thrilling horror of Frankenstein in Folio’s stunning new edition. Mary Shelley's darkly disturbing tale is illustrated by Angela Barrett and newly introduced by Richard Holmes. The Odyssey Characters: Odysseus, Penelope, Helen of Troy, Achilles, Agamemnon, Telemachus, Minerva, Polyphemus

The Iliad: Translated by Robert Fagles: Introduction and The Iliad: Translated by Robert Fagles: Introduction and

Last the understanding of the pre-history is good for one if they are trying to learn about ancient history. One person said “The "Odyssey" is a magnificent piece of literature that we find absolutely spectacular in the fact of its potential for helping us understand pre-history of many ancient cultures, and because of the fact that it is so well written and perhaps one of the first "books" (epics) ever written down. We hope that you find Homer's "Odyssey" enjoyable whether you are reading it for school, for study, or for pleasure.”( http://library.thinkquest.org/19300/d...) After reading the book I knew so much about ancient history I passed all my test with all A’s with no problem The first adventure in the Folio Society editions of ‘The Magic Faraway Tree’ series, Enid Blyton’s The Enchanted Wood features Jonathan Burton’s enchanting illustrations and a new introduction by Michael Morpurgo. There is apparently some speculation as to Homer's actual existence. He was also allegedly blind. And all of these stories were originally told verbally at festivals and political assemblies in Asia-Minor. Combining the skills of a poet and scholar, Robert Fagles, winner of the PEN/Ralph Manheim Medal for Translation and a 1996 Academy Award in Literature from the American Academy of Arts and Letters, brings the energy of contemporary language to this enduring heroic epic. He maintains the drive and metric music of Homer’s poetry, and evokes the impact and nuance of the Iliad’s mesmerizing repeated phrases in what Peter Levi calls “an astonishing performance.” For more than seventy years, Penguin has been the leading publisher of classic literature in the English-speaking world. With more than 1,700 titles, Penguin Classics represents a global bookshelf of the best works throughout history and across genres and disciplines. Readers trust the series to provide authoritative texts enhanced by introductions and notes by distinguished scholars and contemporary authors, as well as up-to-date translations by award-winning translators.From 1960 to 1962, Fagles was an English instructor at Princeton University. In 1962 he was promoted to assistant professor, and in 1965 became an associate professor of English and comparative literature. Later that year he became director of the comparative literature program. In 1970, he became a full professor, and from 1975 was the department chair. He retired from teaching as the Arthur W. Marks '19 Professor of Comparative Literature in 2002, and remained a professor emeritus at Princeton.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop