Posted 21 Oct 2015, 12:25 p.m.

Hey guys.

So my 12 year old Marshall 50DFX has finally had enough.  It started with the volume randomly dropping away completely and having to turn it on/off to get sound again, but now it just goes between making very little sound and no sound (going up and down in volume), no matter what I do.

Any Ideas what would be the most common cause of this, and more importantly, is it easy/£££ to fix?  Was planning on getting a new one soonish but it would be nice to have something to play on in the mean time.

Thanks for any help or guidance you can provide ^^

Posted 21 Oct 2015, 1:48 p.m.

The only help I can provide is a contact of a guy who knows a go who can assess whether it can be repaired and what it would cost...

Posted 23 Oct 2015, 1:46 p.m.

We've just had the practise room blackstars fixed/serviced by a guy who works above noiseworks in cov. Really recommend him!

Although honestly the price for repair will probably be greater than the worth of the amp... 

Posted 23 Oct 2015, 3:57 p.m.

Yeah, noiseworks are mint. I had a problem with my guitar, and it turned out it wasn't that big a deal to fix so he didn't even charge me.

Posted 24 Oct 2015, 8:19 p.m.

Yeah I'm thinking I might just be better off getting a new one (looking at an orange CR60C atm, if anyone has anyone experience with it chime in :D).  Might eventually get the marshall fixed so I can have a stereo setup. Thanks for the recommendation, might go ask him to do some tinkering on my guitar!

Posted 24 Oct 2015, 8:59 p.m.

I actually have that amp! Haven't had it fixed since it blew at a zephyr lounge gig but loved it up until that point. 

Posted 26 Oct 2015, 11:04 a.m.

Sounds like a blown cap. Probably a pretty cheap fix. I also endorse the Noiseworks fella in Cov - he pretty much does the amp/guitar repair stuff as a hobby, and is incredibly cheap since he doesn't generally look to make a bunch of money on it.