1 2 3 .. 6 Next
Posted 7 Feb 2017, 1:10 p.m.

Judge: Thompson

Artist: Liquid Skin

Musicianship/Skill: 3/5

Guitar: Mostly simple riffing with some nice licks in song 2. Played Well.

Guitar/Vox: Vox occasionally a tad forced, but mostly on pitch. Decent.

Bass: Deeply root-notey, vary it up a little man!

Drums: Some nice stuff here - standout musician for me, but not by loads

Professionalism: 3/5

Mic tech occasionally a little off - lock yourself into the stand.

Song 2 opener - lots of snare buzz before the drums kick in - turn it off in these sections as it can be distracting. Banter is ok, nothing to write home about. 15:02 - nice.

Songwriting: 3/5

Song 1: Tasty opener, very nice. YOU LOOK SO FINE & AND I REALLY WANT TO MAKE YOU MINE - someone has done this before… Mostly solid with some sketchy transitions. Missed solo op, but slick end..

Song 2: Mellow & well put together - nice guitar melodies & vocals are nicely worked. Would benefit from some backing harmonies. Nice solo, not too wanky.

Song 3: ore of the same gubbins - it’s getting there but it’s lacking the special sauce to make me remember it.

Creativity: 2.5/5

It’s well thought through, if nothing new. Lacking flare in places, and I do feel you could add to the set by mixing some of the riffs up a bit in places - needs some spice.

Stage Presence/Entertainment Value: 3/5

Plenty of interplay & well built as a band. I’d like more from the performance though, it comes off as a little awkward at times as you’re showing your nerves a bit.

Overall: 14.5/25

This was quite good, nothing more, nothing less. You’ll hold your own as a pub act, but I need some more on all fronts to be really impressed. Sort of thing I’d be happy to enjoy in the background, but no one’s paying to see you any time soon.

Ranking: 1st

Artist: April 20th

Musicianship/Skill: 4/5

Keys: Chord work fine - nothing special going on here. Possibly superfluous.

Guitar (stage R): Deliberately super chill, but it’s all good.

Bass: Nicely picked, clean notes and tasty licks.

Guitar (stage L): As stage R, no issues.

Drums: Rather run off the mill, but some nice sections. Occasional timing slips.

Professionalism: 1.5/5

A touch of pre-gig stage pissing going on… Gnarly crackle throughout, but I’ll let you blame it on the sound guy. Snare buzz again - turn it off when you’re not playing!

Serious feedback in song 3? Maybe a tad shy time-wise & cable whip!

2 cable whips! Sort your fucking lives out guys!

Songwriting: 2/5

Song 1: Chill vibes, if a little lift-musicy. Weeeeeeak ending.

Song 2: Is this a new song? Or have you just trolled us by repeating the first? Not convinced by the wah & badly timed.

Song 3: Same again, these are all a tad forgettable.

Creativity: 3/5

It flows really well, and the set is relatively well put together with some nice ideas, but as a set it doesn’t build enough for me and just keeps on chilling through - quite probably what you were going for though.

Stage Presence/Entertainment Value: 1/5

This is super-background, I’m afraid. I’m not on board with the sit-down, 4/20 vibes aside. There’s nothing for the crowd here, and I feel you’d struggle to entertain any venue more exciting than a field. Some dancers in the crowd though.

Overall: 11.5/25

Contrary to some of the above, I enjoyed most of this, it just didn’t do much for me as a set. Plenty of cool stoner jams, but often just kinda dull.

Ranking: 5th

Artist: Pig Iron

Guitar (stage R): Looks alright, but it’s so quiet in the mix it’s hard to tell.

Bass/Vox: Bass is a touch buzzy, singing is dire but growls are good and suitably meaty.

Guitar (stage L): Far & away standout here - great work. Cheeky backing vox is good.

Drums: Going for complexity and while occasionally on point it’s mostly furry sludge.

Professionalism: 1/5

Another shocking mix - I’m going to keep complaining about this sound guy. It’s a travesty that you’ve been forced into the mud by him.

Nothing specifically to pick holes in professionalism wise, but the combo of the other elements feeds into a weak score.

Also shy at 13 minutes.

Songwriting: 1/5

Song 1: Not well put together as a song - some sections are quite cool guitar-wise, but mostly pants. Vocally silly - Magically what? Funky section is out of place & through section - fucking lol - no. Death metal sections are the best parts. Whoa man - riff around 11:30 was written by my own band! (Gunmen of the Apocalypse).

Creativity: 2/5

Well it’s certainly unique, but I don’t think in a good way. Mostly a messy mash of incompatible influences forced together. Fin thinks it’s satire - I’m not convinced. Why didn’t you make this proper death metal and run with it?

Stage Presence/Entertainment Value: 1.5/5

This needs a lot more to pull of this genre, so the stage show is severely wanting - you should be shitting on the stage & Dillingering off the ceiling! Ending with a burp was hilarious though.

Overall: 8.5/25

Well, a but of a mess, but also a bit of fun. Pick a sound & own it - don’t take it so seriously & fall into it a lot more. Lots of progress since Tetrakis though, so good job on that front!

Ranking: 6th

Artist: A2Z

Musicianship/Skill: 2.5/5

Vox: Generally solid, but I find myself thinking some of this is a touch below your range - great in higher sections & standout musician at these points.

Guitar: Simple, but props for playing guitar leftie and drums rightie. Nice backing vox.

Bass: Following guitar lines & roof notes - mix it up.

Drums: As above - solid but simple.

Musically this is so simple that it detracts from a professional feel, but it is mostly quite tight. Banter - feeling in love? Really? Waves those arms! So many tropes. Crowd is well in though so fair play!

Time perfect.

Song 1: Ultra simple year 8 riff work. Highly procedural song format, bt well transitions. Band theme bass? Nice stop.

Song 2: More year 8 action.

Song 3: Set appropriate slow song, but still nowt new.

Song 4: Instantly more interesting - best song by a way. Vocals by the end are excellent when you’ve able to let go & run with it.

Creativity: 1/5

Really, really derivative - not a lot more to say I’m afraid. It’s a well put together set, but undeniably dull I’m afraid.

Stage Presence/Entertainment Value: 4/5

Price tag on the guitar is an interesting touch - bought at £-land on the way over? Front-lady giving it a lot of love & the crowd is on board, but as is so often the case the rest of the band are lacking! Best so far tonight though.

Overall: 13.5/25

I thought it was “zed” not “zee”? This was objectively not bad, but just so devoid of new ideas. I really wanted to like it, and I’m generally a sucker for a good cliche, but you guys went too far.

Artist: Tamarak

Guitar (12)/Keys/Vox: Guitar very simple, in time. Voc okay, but not well supported in places. Keys are a nice touch and played fine.

Guitar (6): Nice command of effects, playing solid.

Bass: Some real tasty pick work - good job.

Drums: 1st hit out of time… Fine throughout the rest of the set and some real nice bits.

Professionalism: 1/5

The sound fucking sucks tonight - where is the normal dude?

Not your fault though, and sorry you had to deal with it. More fucking snare buzz - why can no-one switch off tonight?

Stops in song 2 a tad sloppy & banter is forced. 16 minutes is a tad long.

Songwriting: 2.5/5

Song 1: Genre appropriate wanky sample intro - a bit silly. A bit dull until you all woke up - cool.

Song 2: Transitions are pants, but love what you’re going for here - funky jams! Not great as a song though, more of a comedy jam. No end.

Song 3: Nice opening vox. Much better than song 2 as an actual arrangement. Appropriately stupid ending.

Creativity: 3.5/5

Some cool mish-mash of ideas throughout & you’re having a nice fuck about with it. Not too serious & I’m on board - very enjoyable. Hilariously stupid lyrics. I’m hearing (as well as seeing) a chill Tenacious D in this - this is a good thing for me!

Crowd is loving this & everyone is bopping in song 2, including me. Front man is having a cracking time, but I need more from the others to round off the performance. Given the genre & the laid back nature of your tunes, I want lots more from this as a set.

Overall: 13/25

Yeah that was pretty sweet - lots of issues & often felt unfinished, but I was smiling throughout. Crowd loves it too & great reception. Go practice/gig more & come back much better next year x

Artist: Overdrawn

Vox: Diction is really good & this is something rare at BOTB. Otherwise solid.

Guitar: Very simple, but tight.

Bass: Some nice bass work, but some timing issues.

Drums: Some really nice shit going on back there - nice.

Professionalism: 2/5

Band into is deeply unpro & this all reeks of fresher band.

You’re giving it lots though, and props for that. All very tight & well rehearsed though, which is lovely to see. Banter is free & easy, which is not easily learned.

Song 1: Classic 1st song - Verse! Chorus! Verse! Chorus! Guitar bit! Band intro! Chorus! Silly Ending!

Song 2: Some more of the same - Lyrical guff & procedural instrumentation.

Song 3: You had me at hello intro is tasty. Vox less hot in this one.

This is very much nothing new, but your songs are not poorly put together. Go and develop your own sound, then come back & impress us!

Stage Presence/Entertainment Value: 5/5

Brought a crowd and engaged with them very well. Bin the mic stand - you don’t need it. Lots of energy throughout & your stage show is the best part of this performance. You’re very endearing & this works.

Overall: 14/25

In the first 10 seconds I said to Botch “these guys are going to score badly, but be excellent in 3 years”. You stink of a Rootes kitchen in terms of freshery-ness, but you’ve got the seeds of something really cool here. Go away and work on your writing & nail this competition in a few years. You’re bringing back memories of a dear friend’s band from BOTB 2011 called “Coast is Clear”, who did exactly that. Oh, and change the name! Overdrawn is crap.

Posted 7 Feb 2017, 1:15 p.m.

Judge: Botch

Rough and ready red guitar is completely drowned out. Definitely starts to take off in the second song. Vox really overpowers the mix, good strong vox and I like the use of reverb – helps it carry that moody atmosphere. Lead guitar great balance throughout set – solo cuts through nice. Bass does well but not locked as tight to the kick drum for good effect. Often plays the off beat of the kick. Drums were the most creative element of the overall setup. Really liked the mixture of hits, but occasionally lost time with the rest of the band – most obvious in the first song.

Mix is very pitchy, levels haven’t been sorted out entirely. Red guitar might benefit from a kill switch to axe that feedback when not holding his guitar. Red guitar really needs that tuner pedal, the onstage tune up at song 2 end really fucking ruined the vibe! (minor) Nice finish @ 15:00 – spot on! Good use of your time.

Drop the 1st song – it’s derivative and so uninteresting compared to songs 2&3. Song 2 was really cool – if the mix was sorted this song could have so many dynamics and the bridge – loved it. Song 3 kind of dragged on, a good driving rhythm but felt you accomplished what you wanted in 3 minutes!

Creativity: 3.5/5

Oh that first riff sounds familiar! ‘Jet’? So it’s the proverbial 04 05 indie rock wave. Second song has that Pearl Jam feel to it and really like the lead guitar – it’s moody and some originality to it! You’ve got some Porcupine Tree & Finger Eleven mentality to the changes – bridges and transitions are really a strength to you guys.

Stage presence/Entertainment value: 3.5/5

Lead man holding the fort down. Bassist didn’t know where to land his gaze – the stage, the lights or the crowd. Whole band loosen up by end of song 2 but could really throw themselves into this more.

Overall: 16/25

Very promising collection of ideas. Song 2 was a keeper, get the levels sorted out and maybe work on the tone between the two guitars.

Ranking: 1st

Musicianship/Skill: 1/5

So I’ll start with the bass – overpowering tone, does well to lock in and provide an interesting rhythm section over a fairly simplistic, but tight, drum beat. Really not a fan of the EQ on the bass. I can’t hear anything but bass, drums and lead guitar. I think the tele has been fucked over, you may as well take a seat…oh wait. So piano and tele are really occupying the same frequency – could it be cancellation I hear? So I love the fact that there is piano in here, but it’s supplementary at best and hits the same chords the tele is doing. Would like to hear more separation or better EQ! Really draining listening to the bass by the end.

A bit of Jack Masturbation from the tele during setup! Nonstop crackle really sucks – levels again are all over the place. A sound like this needs separation in the mix, its supposed to be a dreamscape, a fucking acid trip, but someone forgot the acid. Finish on point. A final jack unplugging adds the cherry on top.

Liking the psychedelic vibes and you’re content on sitting on the groove. Just wish this went somewhere. The muddy tone really killed everything you were trying to achieve. 200-400H – bleurghhh.

Well, wasn’t really trying to push the barriers of the genre – but it is a welcome change. Wasn’t a fan that the songs failed to develop and that both songs were the same key.

Stage presence/Entertainment value: 3/5

I think we’re all enjoying the vibe and it was like being invited to a bedroom gig. Felt intimate. I think you guys were hearing something completely different in your monitors.

Overall: 11/25

So once you get over the ‘almost indulgence’, but not, you can really enjoy this. Sort out the levels please.

Ranking: 6th

Musicianship/Skill: 3.5/5

Blistering guitar tone – love the lead lines. Acoustic guitar cuts through, great job! Better bass lines played tight doesn’t let it overpower the mix. Keys are ‘FUN’ (oh no, he didn’t!). Vox is strong with a nice tone. Drums do a good job – kick has some solid presence – snare doesn’t quite generate consistent power – a couple of lost moments.

Professionalism: 1.5/5

‘Prog’ has never known when to end a song and nor do you – finished at 15:59 – oh dear. It was all going so well, -2 for the over-run.

Songwriting: 3.5/5

A hell of a lot less ‘Jam band’ with the vocal melodies providing some structure. When you write to a melody you can feel the development of the dynamics and it’s far more enjoyable to listen to. Actually the 1st song was really, really good.

Porcupine tree! Yes! 80’s disco revival! NO! This is really a call back to some mad ELP/Rhoads throwback. This is POMP done right. Bring out that Organ en masse! It’s like a tribute to some of the early Yes records – I’m enjoying this but you’ve got to either develop ‘your’ song or do this so much tighter!

You are a band lost in time – I love it. Really doing a good job and quite a few people are dancing. Interlude between song 2&3 showed a bad finish – bass note lingers on and no one knows it you’ve finished.

Overall: 15/25

Good job – great ideas, just unoriginal.

Ranking: 3rd

Fin’s face says it all -_- I couldn’t even get him to appreciate the drum fills. So individually you are all great musicians, both guitars finding a mix – and really enjoying the bass notes – almost plays a few lead parts. Drums are great but the sound guy has done you a disservice. Vocals don’t cut through at all – lose them. The screams are better!

So I just can’t get over the fact that bassist doesn’t look the part – did he just leave the library? And lead guitarist is all smiles, no attitude. Rhythm guitar could work on the EQ a little more on song 3, but you are definitely holding your own. Nice burp, so apt.

Really wanting to love this, if you were tighter this could be a real force to be reckoned with. HATED the jazzy and lighter sections and the falsetto was just so unnecessary – you guys really should be writing darker and more technical material.

Creativity: 1.5/5

So I like the melody and following it on the bass, and the ideas are really jazzy but when you stop it and focus on the metal, everyone is getting behind it. The seesaw rhythms lose touch with the technical proficiency of the band.

A lot of fun to watch – just not for the right reasons. Last band were lost in time but you guys were just lost Could you really mean what you were doing?

Overall: 12.5

Ranking: 5th

Bass is really getting screwed over this heat, sorry for the hate earlier! Feel the playing could be more dynamic, the attack is cut at the wrong moments. Vox is a powerhouse but a little drowned out in verses, no real problems with the skill but perhaps the vibrato doesn’t quite gel with the overall style. Guitar was a lot of fun – very RHCP, but ‘One Hot Minute’ album!

No fuss, the banter is a little tongue in cheek but at least not too forced. I enjoyed the overall mix – a bit of a wall of sound you’ve created – with credit to guitar and drums for dynamics.

So 1st song – a mix of classic rock with a soft rock chorus – memorable hook so points for that. Really enjoyed the bridge section – guitar stood out! Almost a frusciante moment, nice. 2nd song treads that overly safe pop rock sound – but very well written, just didn’t have the same hook as the first. The rest of your set is well written, you know the sound and know the structure well. I’d just work on differentiating yourselves more.

If ‘played it safe’ could be a genre. Nah, whilst the creativity is somewhat ‘middle of the road’, the pop rock sound is well worn and just draws comparisons to all the wrong American bands I dare not mention for fear of Adam crying.

Stage presence/Entertainment value: 3/5

A band that knows how to have fun. Powering through the set. You held the stage and it was ok, if the levels were better if could have been better. Everyone felt the energy and the crowd wave worked.

Overall: 15.5/25

Ranking: 2nd

Backing vox lost in the mix – did anyone turn the mic on? Vox was a little thin but opened up in the bigger moments. Guitar was good, acoustic better. Bass was solid but still rough tone. Drums kept losing beat and it was very noticeable.

Professionalism: 3.5/5

Yea the introductions, pls no. You didn’t have to worry about much, constructively frontman needs to hold the audience better and long gap between songs 2&3. Set was quite loose but songs were written well enough to cover the lost beats.

Decent – fairly straightforward but great chord selection. Slightly more polished songwriting than the other bands tonight. Just nothing stand out.

Very pop punk, reeks of Yellowcard. Trying to hear some moments of originality but not there!

Stage presence/Entertainment value: 2.5/5

Rent-a-crowd out in force tonight. Personally I didn’t think the bass break was that amazing , but the crowd seemed to just love it. Frontman you’ve got a hard job but please don’t watch the guitar solos, throw yourself around. Bass could do with looking up every now and then – enjoy yourselves!

Overall: 14.5/25

Don’t recognise anyone so a great job for your 1st botb! I think you’ll be a force to be reckoned with next year.

Ranking: 4th

Places:

1st: Liquid Skin

2nd: A2Z

3rd: Tamarak

4th:Overdrawn

5th: Pig Iron

6th: April 20th

Posted 7 Feb 2017, 7:26 p.m.

Judge: Fin

Musicianship/skill: 3/5

Drums:Good amount of groove but more oomph needed.

Bass: Often following the Guitar but some nice fills here and there.

Guitar Stage Left: Clear backing work, well restrained. Nice Solo.

Guitar Centre: Nice and clean, clipped note on slide?

Professionalism: 4/5

Straight into first number.

Move rapidly between songs, no real crowd interaction.

Off without much to say.

Songs have a fairly good flow, but mostly lead to fairly familiar places. Dynamics utilised competently though . At times rhythm section feels like part of the composition, not just added for texture but lots of following guitars.

Is that “Are you gonna be my girl” I hear? Cheery rock stuff gives way to slightly darker stuff, but only for small, isolated, sections. Song 1 was a very different feel to your following songs.

Stage Presence/Entertainment Value:3/5

Fairly OK, but not a huge amount of energy coming from the stage. Rock out a bit.

(unreadable word, looks like “Gon”) could use some big black boots, grow some long blond hair and don't rip off Jet in future. You've got the making of some interesting stuff. Keep it up and try to take songs in an unused direction from time to time.

Drums: Mostly good, some groovy fills.

Keys: supplement the rest of the band when they can cut through.

Bass: Tight playing, if fairly bassic.

Guitar Left: Cleanly played, a little under utilised.

Guitar Right: Wah from the middle of nowhere in the middle of a bar.

Bit of widdling whilst waiting to play. Where is the electric buzz coming from?

Everything has the same tone, keys and second guitar don't cut through. Off without issue, oh wait, cable pull.

Song one doesn't really go anywhere. Song 2: parts where the bass line and guitar seem to be going for two completely different feels.

Keys and second guitar underused.

Getting a heavy “Cutscene in Hotline Miami” vibe. First song could have flowed into the second song and no one would have noticed. I get what you're going for but it seems a bit by the numbers.

Stage Presence/Entertainment Value: 2/5

Saw some people dancing early on but not really attention grabbing. Ended up checking my phone at one point. You're all sat down and very hard to see.

Overall: 12/25

I can't help but feel some sections where something other than the reverb guitar lead would have been a nice juxtaposition. More variety is needed.

Musicianship/Skill: 2.5/5

Keys: mostly chords.

Vox: Fairly decent. But wobbly at times.

Acoustic Guitar: A lot of strumming chords.

Guitar: Not as precise as it needs to be at times.

Bass: Good amount of groove, often holding the go together.

Drums: Pretty basic. More interesting use of kick drum would be nice.

On without incident. Ran a minute over time. Off fairly hassle free.

Intro built to nothing, felt kind of underwhelming. Songs flow reasonably but sections feel a bit unfocused at times.

1st song: Intro, I think I recognise that from a Satch song. I like what you're going for, but it often ends up quite messy. The whole thing is pretty chaotic.

Very little interaction with the audience. Not a huge amount of energy on stage. I do like a big finish though.

Overall: 12.5/25

I feel you could use more time to really develop your sound and get tighter as an act. Try and work on the emotions of the song, they seemed a bit all over the place.

Clean Vox - Very Ropey at Times

Growls - Lacking power and depth

Drums - Good, fast playing good with the odd slip up

Bass - Good

Guitar Stage Left - Proficiently played

Guitar Stage Right - Tone makes it hard to make out, but good

On and off without issue. Good on the fly tuning. This is a very self indulgent set. Feels like you’re wasting the audiences time.

Songwriting: 1/5

Songs feel a bit cobbled together. Sections smashed into one another like there was a signalling problem on the railway. Dynamics are all over the place, tempo all over the place.

Absolutely no regard for consistency or feel. No real direction or ideas seem to be bing presented. Just sections that “works” slapped onto one another. There’s interesting and there’s incoherent.

For a band that goes this heavy, not a lot of energy on stage. Not sure how “engaged” the audience was.

Overall: 9/25

Is this satire? It seems like you’re satirising something. All in all this is just an intangible mess. It sounds like you may have some interesting ideas but you’re not using them to good effect here.

Musicianship/skill: 3/5

Drums: Fairly decent, pretty basic stuff though.

Guitar: Good feedback control, clean chords.

Bass: Was that the bond theme? Good though often root noting guitar.

Vox: Powerful, good range.

Professionalism: 4/5

I thought it was “zed” not “zee”?Is Zed dead?

On and off without issue.

Can’t help but feel you missed a trick not to have a stop when you say “stop” - Ok, nevermind, there it is. Songs hold together fairly well but some changes are a bit messy. Rhythm section doesn’t get a chance to shine.

Fairly straightforward rock. Some interesting sections but they were brief and slowed back to standard fare. A bit more interplay between bass and guitar would be nice.

Good movement from vocalist on stage. Everyone else is a bit static.

You’re all competent musicians but it feels like you need a bit more time to find your own sound.

Musicianship/skill: 2.5/5

Bass: Out of time in places. Ok, could do more than root note.

Guitar: Is that a GNR solo? Cleanly played.

Drums: Pretty straightforward beats. Decent power.

Voc: Decent, though off at times, weaker at top end.

Dont introduce yourselves before you’ve finished your first song, show us why we should care who you are. On and off without issue.

Vocal meter occasionally don’t gel with the music. Songs fit together pretty well. I feel like the bass is under utilised a bit. There’s nothing else in that frequency range.

Pretty safe stuff. Songs all followed a similar structure and feel, making it hard to differentiate them.

Stage Presence/Entertainment Value: 2.5/5

Seems you brought a crowd along. Not a huge amount of movement or energy on stage.

Overall: 13.5/25

A decent offering but you need more work. Try some different things in your songwriting too. Feels too safe.

Places:

=1st: A2Z

3rd: Tamarak

4th: Overdrawn

5th: April 20th

6th: Pig Iron

Overall Places:

2nd: A2Z

3rd: Overdrawn

4th: Tamarak

5th: April 20th

6th: Pig Iron

Posted 7 Feb 2017, 9:05 p.m.

Many thanks for some constructive feedback.

However, I have to question Adam's creativity score of 1/5. I'm not sure he understands the genre that we occupy. A2Z are not trying to break any musical boundaries here or create something different - should the competition be retitled 'battle of the bands - but if it's commercial then you won't get a good score'. I have to question the 'highly procedural song format', that has evolved from over the last 4 centuries of musical development, which you call 'cliche' but I recognise as 'structure'. There is a skill to composing songs that an audience are able to sing and remember that I would question whether this competition recognises. I can appreciate that this style is not to everyone's taste, 'undeniably dull', but I feel an effective judge has to be genre neutral.

There were some great comments though that I will certainly take away with me and help to improve.

Posted 7 Feb 2017, 9:23 p.m.

This has some of the first explicit examples of something that I've been noticing for a while.

Often, if a band is exceptionally good/bad in a few categories, their marks will rise/fall in other unrelated categories. This might sound bad at first glance but there are honestly times when 5/5 or 0/5 just don't do a category justice, and a band really does deserve higher/lower total marks than what can be addressed by that category

On the flip side though it means that some people can get the wrong impression about where they have lost marks. Usually this is in creativity and professionalism: if your music sounds really fucking bad then it doesn't matter how professional or creative you actually were - you will get bad marks in those categories.

Just take the individual marks with a grain of salt; don't get angry about a single category where you think you deserved more, it's only the total score that matters.

Now that's out of the way...

"Nothing specifically to pick holes in professionalism wise..."
"Professionalism: 1/5" 

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Posted 7 Feb 2017, 9:28 p.m.

Yeah that one caught me by surprise Joe.

To be fair most of the judges this week did. Aside from us last I genuinely think they got it all wrong. Must have been a gas leak or something.

Maybe that's what got to the soundman.

Posted 7 Feb 2017, 9:30 p.m.

Now I wasn't there, so I can't maybe comment as much however I know Adam well enough to say with some degree of confidence that when it comes to song structure and writing, he knows a thing or two. 

With that said, what do you mean by commercial, Zoe? Just general pop music of what we have now? 

Zoe said:

There is a skill to composing songs that an audience are able to sing and remember that I would question whether this competition recognises.

Of your time: Meeting Chico - the songs got people singing and are catchy and we won, beating other bands that were trying to do stuff more differently. The Ready Wednesdays also had some really poppy tracks in the past (Wonder) that everyone sang along to and they got final. Of times gone by: Scored for Style points (pop-punk), Glass Floors (pop-rock), Funk the Police (pop-funk) and so many others which are more "commercial" or not really trying to break new ground. At the end of the day if you play super tight and write banging tunes, you'll usually win. 

Posted 7 Feb 2017, 9:32 p.m.

Joe is also right about the criteria - its a rough guide and I would certainly agree that when bands do poorly their overall scores tend to be lower in categories where you could argue they should score better in and when they do better, they do better in categories they should do worse in. 

Posted 7 Feb 2017, 9:45 p.m.

And my final point:

Scoring - all the judges apply the values (0 to 5) differently. For example two judges may both state everything is played brilliantly and one will give a 4 and another a 5. I can see an example of this with the scoring for A2Z:

Botch gave you 3 for creativity and said: If ‘played it safe’ could be a genre. Nah, whilst the creativity is somewhat ‘middle of the road’, the pop rock sound is well worn and just draws comparisons to all the wrong American bands I dare not mention for fear of Adam crying.

Adam gave you 1 and said: Really, really derivative - not a lot more to say I’m afraid. It’s a well put together set, but undeniably dull I’m afraid.

Fin gave you a 2 and said: Fairly straightforward rock. Some interesting sections but they were brief and slowed back to standard fare. A bit more interplay between bass and guitar would be nice.

Although they've all given different scores, they've basically all agreed that  you could have done more with the genre. I wasn't there, but maybe you could argue that Adam might be being a bit harsh, but then equally Botch was being generous. 

Posted 7 Feb 2017, 9:58 p.m.

FAKE NEWS