Posted 9 Mar 2018, 1:58 p.m.

Also quick summary: 

Pascal were my favourite band but they just couldn't play their instruments well enough for me
Tamarack were really interesting and at times knocked on the door of it hurting their songs - deserved winners for me.
Haystack - I did genuinely enjoy it bar the extra 10 minutes - dick move as that was intentional... Some of the satire didn't do it for me though (and I love satire...)

Didn't get Culture club to be honest - but it was certainly interesting
Shortwave and Floorboard massively improved and hope to see them continuing to do so over time.

Thanks for letting me judge! Was harder than I thought when the winner of the whole thing is at stake!

Posted 9 Mar 2018, 3:24 p.m.

>culture club

Posted 9 Mar 2018, 3:38 p.m.

We knew we'd get shegged for professionalism for the extra song - I'm sure none of the other bands will particularly mind given we scored lower because of it.

The venue was booked for the whole night, the ballad got a few laffs... I think the only people that got negatively affected by the dick penis move is us and anyone concerned about getting home 10 mins later than would otherwisedst haveth been the case. 

Posted 9 Mar 2018, 3:44 p.m.

Rowan, I don't know if you knew it was me,  but I was too busy waving to you and the rest of Haystack I ballsed up my turn in the Arts Centre car park last night. I also didn't notice you over ran so clearly didn't mind. 

Posted 9 Mar 2018, 3:48 p.m.

hahah I did notice that was you but only just as your turned your head around! My focus was all on not dropping one of George's 13 instruments. That car park is deadly, can't fault you for ballsing up a turn in the slightest 

Posted 9 Mar 2018, 3:54 p.m.

Rowan said:

The venue was booked for the whole night, the ballad got a few laffs... I think the only people that got negatively affected by the dick penis move is us and anyone concerned about getting home 10 mins later than would otherwisedst haveth been the case.

considering the whole night was plagued with delays and in general, it's a shitty thing to do to the staff - it's just not really on. In all other scenarios if you did this in other venues you'd get kicked off the stage... 

Posted 9 Mar 2018, 4:18 p.m.

Posted 9 Mar 2018, 4:32 p.m.

well I had a good laugh 

Posted 9 Mar 2018, 6:17 p.m.

May post a longer summary of my experience of last night, but here is my totally subjective rapid fire review. 

Haystack: you're bad people for so many reasons, but that was the point. Pains me to say it, but have been singing Arm America all day in my head.

Floorboard: sadly more bored than floored, but only because it just isn't my scene (I was lying, I really do hate jazz). Ignore me though I was never your target market - you're skilled as fuck, keep it up!

Culture Blood: 10/10 would join. By far my favourite band of the night, so up my street, absolutely loved it, even more than in the heats. Thought the background video was great too, some much angst - ignore the judges. 

Pascal: Fucking ultra lol would watch this set every week for the rest of my life. Italirap is better than the Fresh Prince. 

Tamarak: Pocock is bang on with his fighting the final boss comment - I said to Craig during the set it was exactly like the soundtrack to final fantasy vi. Great game, great soundtrack, and great job on the victory.

Shortwave: It really was a pleasure to see the progress since that Knoffler cover at that jam night all those years ago, and Ian sans guitar was a treat - please keep playing together, but bring your other guitarist back in and have Ian take on the guitar free frontman role full time! 

Judges: excellent work. Except Indy, for fucks sake those star wars refs bro... 

Thanks lastly to bandsoc for having me to MC again, it's my fucking favourite part of BOTB :D 

Posted 9 Mar 2018, 8:08 p.m.

Adam said:

Except Indy, for fucks sake those star wars refs bro...