FREE Shipping

Hide

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

No thanks to Netgalley for declining my request for an arc of this graphic novel (probably due to my low rating of the physical novel but… oh well) I’ve found my way to reading this in advance anyways. Muhaha. Further, I promise this is it for complaints, the horror aspects were kept too obscure. I wanted more. I liked the build and tension initially. It was an abandoned Amusement Park, closed after a five year old girl vanished within, her patent leather shoe caught on the branches of a topiary. "Slowly what didn't crumble rusted and what didn't rust leaned. All the walkways were lined with impassable shrubbery, undergrowth turned into overgrowth, wild plant life was riddled with thorns." In addition, I still don't understand what the title has to do with the story. No one was really "hiding" in this book

Hide by Kiersten White | Goodreads

I'd wanted to read the full-length novel this graphic adaptation is based on since its release but I hadn't yet gotten around to doing so. I'm not sure if I'll return to it as, in my opinion, this media seemed like the perfect way in which to tell this horrifying tale. The Hide & Seek Rooms on the first floor offera private dining experience individually for ten guests, or combined for up to 24guests. The illustrations were pretty good, very old school 80s style comic book art. Reminded me of old superman comics. This was a very creepy and disturbing horror story taking place in a spooky old, broken down and desolate amusement park located far from any nearby towns or help if needed. I found all the characters wonderfully developed whether they were likeable or despicable. The dark storytelling and writing was great as it had myself feeling many emotions throughout the book. This was a horror story blended with the supernatural yet it touched upon many current social issues that all of society is dealing with today as in violence, domestic abuse, murder, racism, physical appearance, bigotry, PTSD, economic class etc which were wonderful assets brought into a horror story. The reader may think as they're reading that there will be a predictable outcome but they couldn't be more wrong. Kirsten White has written an entertaining and terrific book that encompasses all sorts of dark, nightmarish settings and I highly recommend it to all avid horror readers. All in all Hide turned out to be a solid start to a new detective series, and a serial killer thriller that is both gruesome and strangely entertaining once you get past the large cast of characters and slower start. Recommended if you enjoy the genre and don't mind your thrillers on the dark side!To start out with, there are WAY too many characters (fourteen!) to keep straight. They are first and often identified by their "identities"-ie "intern" "writer" etc. Then we get names and identities sometimes used interchangeably. When I got to the middle of the book, I wished I would have kept a chart from the beginning, but in the end many of the characters were totally throwaway so it didn't really matter. Secondly, when we find out why they are really there...ugh, I just rolled my eyes and plowed through to the end to see if things would be redeemed, but unfortunately they really weren't. Her new captain pairs her with an “old-fashioned” cop, and the two immediately pull a case of a young, re-haired woman brutally murdered. Her new partner is abrasive and insensitive, and the two really are not a good fit together, though he does find some leads in the case. Meanwhile, Bodie Morgan, a troubled man with a history of stalking young women has just been released from a psychiatric facility, and his treating psychiatrist is quite sure the story he has told her about his family history is false. She’s right about that. The ambitious career psychiatrist hopes to gain notoriety from his case, and takes her suspicions to the police, hoping to get involved with the case.

The Hide by Barry Unsworth | Goodreads The Hide by Barry Unsworth | Goodreads

I was really looking forward to this book coming out, but it ended up being a big letdown. I first read the blurb and was hoping for something like Fantasticland. Instead, I got something more like Clown in a Cornfield, that took itself too seriously and got rid of the fun . At the same time, a young man is released from a psychiatric facility, and reunites with his twin sister. Bodie has issues, while Amelia seems like a successful artist; though, as the story progresses, and more young, red-haired women are found murdered, it becomes obvious that there is a lot more going on with this pair. And it’s dark. It was a bit difficult to read the words on the NetGalley app, but the artwork was beautifully done. There were also a lot of gory kills.When I say I loved Hide I mean I loved it, the story, the characters, the setting, it was one of those books that stayed with me, made me buy a physical copy to annotate, and kept looking for news about it. The graphic novel took it to another level and gave me so much more of an experience. let us leave unexamined what it says about me that i use competitive murder books as escapist entertainment. suffice it to say, i ride the subway into the city every day, which gives me a front-row seat to the decline of civilization along with some simmering fantasies about thinning out the human herd. Big thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me access to the ARC of this in exchange for an honest review, and I am super excited to share my thoughts on this one after having read the novel last year! As I kept reading, this novel just drags on to the point of it being a complete snoozefest. I’m not sure why this is even considered to be a horror novel as it doesn’t have anything scary, crazy, or terrifying enough to keep you up at night. This felt more like a sci-fi/young adult novel than horror. Yeah, there are some parts that dabble in horror but it’s not fully fleshed out enough to scar you as it typically should. I thought the few scary situations in this one were very lame.

Hide and unhide music, films, TV programmes, audiobooks and books Hide and unhide music, films, TV programmes, audiobooks and books

And finally, abandon all use of clichés! Only when an author has conclusively shown they don’t need them can said author pull one out just for fun—and then it has to be done with verve, flair, aplomb, etc. Not because it was the first thing that came to mind. On your iPhone, open the Books app, then tap Reading Now.On your iPad, tap Reading Now in the sidebar.

A copy of this book was kindly provided to me by Netgalley and Thomas & Mercer in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! *** Opening - There is reasons for wanting to get off this stall. Not that I been here long. I only been here a month. Mortimer has been here longer, that's my friend. He's been here since before Easter. A change is as good as a rest, I tell him. He likes it though. There is plenty other jobs, I tell him, this time a year, plenty, but he don't want to move. If you want to read something truly spooky with a terrifying storyline then look no further than Hide!

Hide and unhide music, movies, TV shows, audiobooks, and books Hide and unhide music, movies, TV shows, audiobooks, and books

DNF’d due to the narrator. The story isn’t gripping enough to drive me to read it though - hard to tell how much of that is Tracy Clark’s writing and how much lands on the narrator.A teacher and a novelist, Unsworth worked as a lecturer in English at Norwood Technical College, London, at University of Athens for the British Council, at University of Istanbul,Turkey for British Council, lived as a Writer in residence, Liverpool University, England, and also at Lund University, Sweden. He was a teacher at the University of Iowa's Writers' Workshop, 1999. Thank you to NetGalley, Clarkson Potter, Ten Speed Press, Kiersten White, Scott Peterson (adaptation writer), and Veronica and Andy Fish (illistrators) for the opportunity to read Hide: The Graphic Novel in exchange for an honest review.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop