The Illustrated Police News: The Shocks, Scandals and Sensations of the Week, 1864-1938

£6.495
FREE Shipping

The Illustrated Police News: The Shocks, Scandals and Sensations of the Week, 1864-1938

RRP: £12.99
Price: £6.495
£6.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Begg and Bennett, p.10; Rubenhold, p.8; Judith Walkowitz, City of dreadful delight: narratives of sexual danger in late-Victorian London, (London : Virago, 1992), p . 195. The original mission of the FBIS was to monitor, record, transcribe, and translate intercepted radio broadcasts from foreign governments, official news services, and clandestine broadcasts from occupied territories. FBIS Daily Reports, 1974–1996 constitutes a unique archive of transcripts of foreign broadcasts and news that provides insight into the second half of the 20th century; many of these materials are firsthand reports of events as they occurred.

It should be said that we must make allowance for a certain amount of artistic licence on the part of the illustrators who actually created the images. But, we at least are able to form an impression of the locations and of those who played a part in the aftermath of the Whitechapel murders. Burton, William Evans (September 1837). "Scissibles". Burton's Gentleman's Magazine. Philadelphia. 1 (3). Queensberry's solicitor, meanwhile, had forwarded to the Director of Public Prosecutions copies of statements by the young men they had planned to produce as witnesses. At 3:30 p.m., an inspector from Scotland Yard appeared before Magistrate John Bridge to request a warrant for the arrest of Oscar Wilde. Bridge adjourned the court for an hour and a half. He is said to have asked the clerk of court when the last train departed for Dover. Apparently, he wanted to give Wilde time to make his escape from England on the last boat to the Continent. Only at 5:00, fifteen minutes after the train's departure, did the magistrate sign the warrant.Australia was quite isolated when I was growing up,” he explains, “so the very idea of old London Town came with a fair bit of fascination attached. The notion of this dark story, set in 1888 among the London slums, just pulled me in.” Wilde served two years in prison, the last eighteen months being spent at Reading Gaol. He came out chastened and bankrupt, but not bitter. He told a friend that he "had gained much" in prison and was "ashamed on having led a life unworthy of an artist." In his prison writing, De Profondis, Wilde says, " I became a spendthrift of my genius and to waste an eternal youth gave me a curious joy." Due to its detailed descriptions of violent and some-times disturbing crimes, it was banned in Ireland by the Committee on Evil Literature in 1926. Lee, Alan J., The origins of the popular press (London : Croom Helm ; Totowa, N.J. : Rowman and Littlefield, 1976). Súilleabháin, Seán (1971). "Díoltas i nDroch-Bhirt". Béaloideas (in Irish). Dublin: An Cumann Le Béaloideas Éireann/The Folklore of Ireland Society. 39: 251–265. doi: 10.2307/20521359. JSTOR 20521359.

Four days later at the Albemarle Club--a club to which both Wilde and his wife belonged, Queensberry left a card with a porter. "Give that to Oscar Wilde," he told the porter. On the card he had written: "To Oscar Wilde posing as a somdomite [sic]." Two weeks later Wilde showed up at the club and was handed the card with the offensive message. Returning that night to the Hotel Avondale, Wilde wrote to Douglas asking that he come and see him. "I don't see anything now but a criminal prosecution," Wilde wrote. "My whole life seems ruined by this man. The tower of ivory is assailed by the foul thing. On the sand is my life split. I don't know what to do." Take, for example, the ‘ malicious mischief‘ enacted by ‘some persons travelling in a first-class compartment of a London and North-Western train between Crewe and Manchester.’ The Aberdeen Evening Expresson 1 October 1884 reported how these unruly passengers ‘amused themselves by throwing out the window the cushions, blinds, rug, and other fittings of the carriage,’ causing chaos on the railway line. Aberdeen Evening Express | 1 October 1884 Indeed, as we mentioned in this previous article, such was the tabloid reputation of the journal that, in 1886, it had been voted “the worst English newspaper” by the readers of the Pall Mall Gazette!There was, indeed, some speculation at the time of the murders that, as the Jewish Chronicle put it in October 1888, “a deliberate attempt to connect the Jews with the Whitechapel murders” was underway.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop