Reaching Down the Rabbit Hole: Extraordinary Journeys into the Human Brain

Reaching Down the Rabbit Hole: Extraordinary Journeys into the Human Brain

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

A moderately interesting story of the life of a neurologist, marred by the gigantic ego of the author. I'm sure you need a gigantic ego to do the job and there are plenty of stories where he gets stuff wrong (at first, before getting it right obv) but the overall impression is of being sat next to someone at a dinner party who starts off seeming an absolutely fascinating and enthralling raconteur and by the third course you're wondering who you ought to stab in the eye with a dessert fork: yourself or him.

Told in a breezy style through a series of real-life case studies, Ropper's book offers a fascinating glimpse of the ways in which our brain can go wrong. * Financial Times * I liked Dr Ropper, he came across nicely and informally, but his ego can get a bit wearisome after a while. I am trying not to hold the whole ego thing against him, after all he is a neurologist and fair enough he does an amazing job that very few people can or would choose to do. In instances of conversion hysteria, the family of the patient is frequently overbearing and probably causal to the symptoms. Some families demand that the neurologist solve this problem right now and provide a solution that will indicate easy treatment with drugs or reassurance that the illness is nothing to worry about at this point in the patient's life. Either solution is rarely the case. The neurologist is often blamed by these families because he or she is regarded as a shaman who can cure all ills and provide happy endings. Somehow the illness becomes the doctor's fault. It’s one of countless intriguing medical titbits that Ropper and Burrell stitch together in a series of what the subtitle accurately calls “extraordinary journeys into the human brain”.Dr. Allan H. Ropper and Brian David Burrell comprehensively explain, through the lived experiences of a number of patients, the complex and sometimes utterly bizarre nature of the brain and the things that can go wrong with it. Yet this unreliability is itself a window into another reality, the distorted Alice in Wonderland world to which the title refers and in which neurological patients are wont to find themselves tormentingly trapped. The difference in American healthcare (as opposed to the British) was very obvious here. It still astounds me that healthcare is considered a privilege in the states. The discussion about medical ethics and neuropsychiatry are two of my favourite aspects of the book. As with all books of this genre, there are some tongue in cheek moments and some which some readers may raise an eyebrow at. For cost savings, you can change your plan at any time online in the “Settings & Account” section. If you’d like to retain your premium access and save 20%, you can opt to pay annually at the end of the trial.

In a sense, the book is long argument for the primacy of old-fashioned observation over newfangled technology. The central paradox with which it grapples is that in neurology the very means a patient uses to explain himself – ie his brain – is often impaired, and so unreliable. When all his colleagues think a patient is suffering from a brain tumour or a stroke, Ropper knows that it’s herpes encephalitis. He doesn’t need to look at scans. He can tell from a bedside exam. Ocr tesseract 4.1.1 Ocr_detected_lang en Ocr_detected_lang_conf 1.0000 Ocr_detected_script Latin Ocr_module_version 0.0.5 Ocr_parameters -l eng Old_pallet IA18237 Openlibrary_edition Stories about a neurologist in an acute hospital. Tales of people with complex and often mind-boggling presentations, like the man who drove for half a day in circles in his car.

Create a new list

If you do nothing, you will be auto-enrolled in our premium digital monthly subscription plan and retain complete access for 65 € per month.

While Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is the source of the title, the theme of implausible reality in neurologic practice comes from the White Queen of Through the Looking-Glass. Neurology is queen of the medical specialties, says Ropper. Like Wells, a queen among Gothic cathedrals, she is neither the biggest nor necessarily the best but few exceed her for finesse and elegance. Submissions must be < 200 words with < 5 references. Reference 1 must be the article on which you are commenting. Neurologists aren't very nice to each other and to other doctors consulting on a case. There is a lot of ego jousting. The author of this book tries hard to be humble, but it's evident that he has high regard for himself and his abilities and unique diagnoses. Reaching Down the Rabbit Hole does not particularly try to be funny, yet its commentary on how events happen to arrange themselves has a comic sensibility. Ropper's mirthless exchange of one-liner jokes with a hospital visitor who turns out to be a former comedy writer establishes a fellowship between the men and helps us understand the origins of this show business take on clinical neurology. Time and again, characters with boilerplate descriptions – “Lucinda H is a Latina female in her late teens … with short-cropped and spiky hair” – announce themselves with bizarre symptoms that arrive, often without warning, in the most mundane situations.CT imaging scans are everywhere, as illegible to the general viewer as a Rorschach test, but deemed the (often bogus) sine qua non of scientific credibility for all matters psychological. Allan Ropper's new memoir, Reaching Down the Rabbit Hole, has the hard-boiled style of a Raymond Chandler novel. Like a real-life Dr House, Ropper follows hunches and has sudden startling insights. * The Times * Access-restricted-item true Addeddate 2020-08-23 09:04:25 Associated-names Burrell, Brian, 1955- author Boxid IA1911413 Camera USB PTP Class Camera Collection_set printdisabled External-identifier I wish I was smart enough to become a doctor because I think their work is so interesting particularly neurology. Dr. Ropper, Reaching Down The Rabbit Hole makes this point with his tales of the variety of illnesses, accidents, and medical conditions neurologists treat. He calls neurology the Queen of medicine because of its diversity.

Filled with patient histories and puzzling symptoms waiting to be understood, Reaching Down the Rabbit Hole is a detective novel, and despite his flapping white coat and squeaking Crocs, Ropper is Humphrey Bogart, cerebral yet tough and blessed with a terse wit. -- Christian Donlan * New Statesman * Change the plan you will roll onto at any time during your trial by visiting the “Settings & Account” section. What happens at the end of my trial?What Burrell and Ropper produce is a portrait of an immensely talented neurologist and teacher who is always the smartest man in the room. Almost every anecdote ends with Ropper emerging the hero of the moment. It’s too carefully written to be crassly boastful, but it’s not exactly an essay in professional humility. urn:lcp:reachingdownrabb0000ropp_l7b0:epub:92c2fff5-a301-4e3e-849e-845a7902dcb9 Foldoutcount 0 Identifier reachingdownrabb0000ropp_l7b0 Identifier-ark ark:/13960/t31350j3g Invoice 1652 Isbn 9781782395478 Reaching Down the Rabbit Hole tells it like it is on the front line of clinical neurology. Engagingly written, informative, often funny, it also manages to be moving without slipping into the sentimentality that too often infests medical writing... If ever anything goes wrong with my brain, I'd like a doctor like Ropper to help sort me out. -- Paul Broks * Daily Telegraph * A child molester who, after falling on the ice, is left with a brain that is very much dead inside a body that is very much alive

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop