Dead Silence

Dead Silence

RRP: £20.99
Price: £10.495
£10.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

by commentators, guest bloggers, reviewers, and interviewees are solely their own and do not reflect the opinions of Locus magazine or its staff.

It reminds me of the movie Ghost Ship from 2002 that gave me nightmares for weeks except, you know, in space.Separate timelines don’t bother me much – if handled well they add spice to the story – and I’m still looking forward to this one, but I will keep your… warnings in mind once I get to this book. This is great, immersive, atmospheric space horror that shows Barnes is a talented storyteller and proves that, despite rumors to the contrary, horror belongs in space. I think it worked because seeing only from her perspective really adds to the believability of all that’s going on. We don't know if this is a case of the mystery surrounding the ship or a case of an unreliable narrator?

The entire story is so incredibly atmospheric and gave me the most wonderful mix of Event Horizon and Ghost Ship vibes — which you should probably know were two of the most influential films of my early childhood horror watching and are eternal favorites of mine. But, like Kate with her reading of science fiction stories, I do make exceptions for horror stories that cross over into my preferred genres. To access your ebook(s) after purchasing, you can download the free Glose app or read instantly on your browser by logging into Glose.For all ebook purchases, you will be prompted to create an account or login with your existing HarperCollins username and password. Dead Silence is a proper ghost story, complete with a narrator who’s trying desperately to shake off her own unreliability. It feels like this book wanted to be a mash-up of Event Horizon and The Haunting of Hill House, but ended up being more like Disney's Haunted Mansion in space. Reed is incredulous, as he is intent on forcing Claire to confess to murdering her crew out of greed. Claire is the captain of a small maintenance repair ship which travels the outer boundaries of known space, where she has spent her entire adult life, with rotating Firefly style motley crews.

I found this especially true for The Girl on the Train (by Paula Hawkins) and Before She Disappeared(by Lisa Garnder) (among many others). Barnes ably conjures the kind of haunting setting and atmosphere required for this Event Horizon-esque novel… Recommended for fans of claustrophobic space horror. Honestly, probably one of the best books I have listened to the performance was perfect and the story was gripping from start to finish if you’re a fan of the alien franchise, you should enjoy this it’s spooky and creepy and keeps you guessing all the way through! What I Disliked: The beginning of this book is so disjointed and took me so long to get into this book. I like SciFy horror usually (horror is one of those genres I can sometimes handle but other times is just too much for me) and this book is asking to be put on my TBR.If you enjoy what we do and want to see it continue, please take a moment and subscribe or donate now! Even though her enemies are close to finding out what really happened–and that could ruin them both. Not to mention all the “exploratory” diagnostics and procedures over the last three weeks in the Tower.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop