Posted 31 Jan 2011, 2:23 a.m.

I'm thinking of splashing out on some really nice strings, any suggestions? I play a 5 string

I'm thinking possibly Rotosounds black tapewound, but they're quite heavy gauge. The shop claims they're low tension in spite of that, but I'm worried it will do something nasty to my bridge. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Posted 31 Jan 2011, 10:30 a.m.

Elixirs! They're twice the price, but they last forever. I've always disliked the feel of Rotos - very rough on the fingers, although granted you're looking at tapewounds.

I have Hybrid Slinkys on a few of my basses, which is a great sound, but they go dead incredibly quickly.

Ultimately I'm only really familiar with roundwounds, as flats, tapes, etc aren't really my preferred choice tonewise. But for tapes, I hear LaBella are very good.

I wouldn't worry about bridge/neck damage really. Unless you're playing a really cheap bass, it'll take it just fine!

Posted 31 Jan 2011, 10:46 a.m.

Nick: Elixirs! They're twice the price, but they last forever. I've always disliked the feel of Rotos - very rough on the fingers, although granted you're looking at tapewounds.

I have Hybrid Slinkys on a few of my basses, which is a great sound, but they go dead incredibly quickly.

Ultimately I'm only really familiar with roundwounds, as flats, tapes, etc aren't really my preferred choice tonewise. But for tapes, I hear LaBella are very good.

I wouldn't worry about bridge/neck damage really. Unless you're playing a really cheap bass, it'll take it just fine!

I must say, as good as the Elixirs sound on my bass, it physically hurt spending 25 quid on FOUR STRINGS!!!