Previous 1 .. 5 6 7
Posted 11 Feb 2011, 9:13 p.m.

Mike182:
ardeshir:
- Adam -:
piszczel:
Eh. None of his work is remarkable, I'm not talking about technique here. Musically, it's boring. Bluesy pentatonics over and over again... He wrote some memorable melodies and riffs but don't we all.

I'm not saying he's a bad player, I'm just saying that what he does is nothing special (to my ear anyway...).

I couldnt disagree more. A trademark of a good guitarist is in the definition of his sound. You could hear slash on any song ever made, and you would automatically know it was slash because it sounds like slash. That 'sound' is irreplacable. The guy has written some stunning solos. Not flashy, not fucking around in modes. Just bluesy pentatonics as you said. But damn it sounds good.

YES!! This! It's easy to tell who's singing a song when you just hear a track played randomly.. but there are very few guitarists who you can identify just be hearing a song.. Slash is one of them.. I always find identifying Steve Vai to be quite easy as well..

His performance at the Superbowl was cack though, especially with Fergie gyrating and singing Sweet Child Of Mine abysmally.

Well, he played his most well known song note perfect. I dont see how that makes it a cack performance.

Posted 11 Feb 2011, 9:13 p.m.

Mike182:
His performance at the Superbowl was cack though, especially with Fergie gyrating and singing Sweet Child Of Mine abysmally.

I've literally only just seen this tonight and its just awful. As if I needed a reminder of how many awful, awful songs they have...

But yea, Slash was actually pretty bad there too.

Posted 18 Feb 2011, 4:55 p.m.

Think I remember hearing about how in an interview Slash said he wrote the riff for sweet child of mine and almost didn't share it with the others cause it was cack..

Anyways U-G have a pretty cool section of practising/general tips.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/correct_practice/

Posted 18 Feb 2011, 5:41 p.m.

Mike.webb: Think I remember hearing about how in an interview Slash said he wrote the riff for sweet child of mine and almost didn't share it with the others cause it was cack..

Anyways U-G have a pretty cool section of practising/general tips.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/correct_practice/

Yeah he mentions that in his autobiography. He fucking hated it but the rest of the band loved it. Apparently it sounded too much like a novelty riff.

Posted 19 Feb 2011, 2:34 p.m.

It's odd, I reckon i'm a guitarist more like piszczel than anyone else here (judging from what I saw in Heat 1, playing fast, sweeping etc) so I have in general mostly practised technique and speed. However this makes me appreciate guitarists who have the 'feel' for it (like Slash) even more, because I could play it, but I couldn't write it.

Posted 19 Feb 2011, 4:56 p.m.

piszczel:
- Adam -:
Sorry dude, but Slash is an iconic guitarist and anyone who disputes that is just ignorant. He may not throw sweeps on 'November Rain' and he may not do 8 finger tapping on 'Knocking On Heavens Door', but by-god he has some serious soul in what hes playing. Id rather hear him do that than some Yngwie whats his face wank over my ear drum.

Eh. None of his work is remarkable, I'm not talking about technique here. Musically, it's boring. Bluesy pentatonics over and over again... He wrote some memorable melodies and riffs but don't we all.

I'm not saying he's a bad player, I'm just saying that what he does is nothing special (to my ear anyway...).

It's all about the phrasing man. You can do a hell of alot with 'bluesy pentatonics' actually. And I agree with Adam, the fact he has a recognisable sound/tone is quite exceptional.

Posted 25 Feb 2011, 9:50 p.m.

Just to bump this, I found this clip from the metal hammer podcast, which sums up my feelings on Slash perfectly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqj03UtUEwg