Previous 1 .. 3 4 5
Posted 24 Feb 2011, 6:48 p.m.

tamadrummer22:

For even more pedantry - the single notes themselves are not major or minor (a single note can't have tonality). The intervals between the notes can be major or minor, but single notes cannot.

Well duh! I put the labels Major/minor next to the notes to use in my example of notes that are in key not sounding 'right' in context.

Posted 24 Feb 2011, 7:16 p.m.

For further pedantry, solos are boring

Posted 24 Feb 2011, 8:16 p.m.

Michael O:
tamadrummer22:

For even more pedantry - the single notes themselves are not major or minor (a single note can't have tonality). The intervals between the notes can be major or minor, but single notes cannot.

Well duh! I put the labels Major/minor next to the notes to use in my example of notes that are in key not sounding 'right' in context.

Maybe I misunderstood your point man, it's just that you wrote:

Michael O:
1 - D (minor)
2 - E
3 - F (major)
4 - G (minor)
5 - A (minor)
6 - A# (major)
7- C (major)

And then:

Michael O:
There are major (happy) notes in the scale, but if you've got a moody sad sounding backing track in D minor you don't particularly want to be using those notes.

So I read this to mean you were saying he shouldn't use the F if playing in D minor as it's major (or 'happy' if you will), or the A#/Bb for the same reason. Yet F is actually the minor third of the D minor triad, so should fit perfectly if he's improvising in said key.

Posted 25 Feb 2011, 12:57 a.m.

I was exaggerating an example to make a point, anyway, the new video is better. Keep practising and really look out for the sweet notes to hit*

*in a solo i'm writing at the moment I can't for the life of me find a decent note to end a run on :x

Posted 25 Feb 2011, 1:18 a.m.

Michael O: I was exaggerating an example to make a point, anyway, the new video is better. Keep practising and really look out for the sweet notes to hit*

*in a solo i'm writing at the moment I can't for the life of me find a decent note to end a run on :x

it's a sign from the heavens that your solo is not ready to end. elongate it so that it's 5-10 minutes longer what's the harm? :P