Posted 8 Mar 2011, 9:46 a.m.

dreadwitfear: Axe-Fx. Period

I'm reserving judgment until actually Ive seen someone use it in a live, band situation.

Posted 8 Mar 2011, 10:38 a.m.

tsar.nathan:
- Adam -: So yeah, I currently have a Boss DD-3 Delay, CH-1 Chorus, Dunlop Cry Baby and a TU-2 tuner running through a fully powered stomp box. I love it, but it's a freaking hassle to get around, especially as I don't drive. Would it be worth me selling my stuff and investing in a multi effects unit? If so then what should I be looking at?

Ta.

no.
if you want the ins and outs of why, there's at least one thread on here from a while back with lots of reasons

what he said.
One quick reason (which is perhaps relevant to bandsoc bands) is if you're playing through different amps depending on the gig - changing all your settings in some multi FX box is harder than the odd tweak on individual pedals..

Posted 8 Mar 2011, 12:51 p.m.

Findlay: A multieffects distortion pedal will sound no where near as good as a boutique analogue pedal. But a cheap digital distortion won't sound any better.

By far most stompbox distortions, cheap or otherwise, are analogue.

Posted 8 Mar 2011, 2:25 p.m.

Frans:
Findlay: A multieffects distortion pedal will sound no where near as good as a boutique analogue pedal. But a cheap digital distortion won't sound any better.

By far most stompbox distortions, cheap or otherwise, are analogue.

Fair enough, I just wanted to make the extra differentiation from multi-effects.

Posted 8 Mar 2011, 2:57 p.m.

I think you can get alot out of a multi-effects it just requires alot of effort and time fiddling with it.

I'm quite happy with some of the stuff i've managed to get out of my BOSS GT-10 and that's with minimal effort. If i had time I reckon I could get some pretty great tones.

I can see the negative aspects of a multi-effects but I'd still recommend the one I own if you have the time to fiddle around with it all.

One problem is the fact through different amps your sounds can go from brilliant to crap very easily.

Posted 9 Mar 2011, 9:03 a.m.

Eighth Day Descent:

I'm reserving judgment until actually Ive seen someone use it in a live, band situation.

When I saw Periphery and TesseracT they all used one. My trousers were well and truly filled.

Posted 9 Mar 2011, 12:38 p.m.

dreadwitfear:
Eighth Day Descent:

When I saw Periphery and TesseracT they all used one. My trousers were well and truly filled.

So true. I've seen quite a few bands use these live, even Meshuggah when Fractal Audio was just getting started. Definitely the way forward. Just reading the artist testimonies on the Fractal Audio page (bearing in mind that Fractal don't do free or reduced gear - every artist on there has paid for a unit out of their own pocket and then given a statement off their own back, even Steve Vai and Tosin Abasi) is enough to brown your trousers.

Posted 10 Mar 2011, 3:24 p.m.

Axe-FX is such a huge outlay cost for the typical student.
Still need a power amp and a cab for jamming though don't you?