Posted 12 Mar 2011, 11:07 a.m.

I'm probably going to be buying one soon so I just wondered if there was any last minute advice on it's pros/cons?

I was going to get the UX1 but that only has one mic input right? I only use one mic at the moment but for an extra £50 or so I may as well buy the UX2. The modeling i'll probably just use for a bit of fun, not nesc. for much recording.

Yeah, so any opinions?

Posted 14 Mar 2011, 11:30 a.m.

Hi mate,

I bought myself a UX1 a couple of years ago and use it a lot. Whilst trying to improve what I could do with it, I found a couple of important differences between the UX1 and the UX2.

The difference is not just the fact that the UX2 has more inputs/outputs. When using compressor mics, the UX2 can provide phantom power, whereas the UX1 can't. I found this the hard way, after buying a mic and then having to go ahead and buy a phantom power supply.
Another difference is with the MIDI drivers. I bought a Behringer FCB1010 pedal so I could control the effects/wah on the gearbox, and then eventually on POD farm 2 as well, and found that if you have the UX2 you can do a lot more. It is still possible to control the UX1 with MIDI, but you have to spend a few hours understanding everything before you get it to work.

Having said that, I'm pretty happy with my UX1. I eventually bought all the expansion packs (which more or less doubles the price of the thing) but the good amps are all there now.

You should bear in mind that with either POD you can only use up to 2 of the channels at once. (2 mics, 2 instruments, mic+instrument, line1+line2, etc). If you're not interested in using MIDI, not bothered about the phantom power and aren't going to be using 2 mics at once, then the UX1 is the probably the best buy.

Hope this helps.

Posted 16 Mar 2011, 3:28 p.m.

jpsbento: Hi mate...

cheers, all very useful :) better than the advice posted below ;)
also, I take it your the same Joao Bento from the physics department, right?

Posted 11 Apr 2011, 2:49 p.m.

tsar.nathan:

Yeah, I am the one. I'm not sure I know who you are just from the nickname, but you're welcome to come round and have a chat about the POD if you have any more questions :)
Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Joao

Posted 11 Apr 2011, 5:22 p.m.

jpsbento:
tsar.nathan:

Yeah, I am the one. I'm not sure I know who you are just from the nickname, but you're welcome to come round and have a chat about the POD if you have any more questions :)
Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Joao

I just recognised the name, I think you were one of my markers/demonstrators for first year labs :)
I bought the UX2, it arrived on friday, although revision has to take priority for now :(

Posted 21 Apr 2011, 5:45 p.m.

I just recognised the name, I think you were one of my markers/demonstrators for first year labs :)
I bought the UX2, it arrived on friday, although revision has to take priority for now :)

Yeah, good luck with revision then. And have fun with the POD too. It's been one of the best things I've ever bought, and I still use it for anything involving sound.
Cheers,
Joao