Posted 19 Jun 2011, 11:33 a.m.

There have been a few posts along these lines but I've already been through them all so I need some more!

I've never been a great guitarist. I usually only ever played out of necessity (for recording etc), but I now have a strong urge to improve. I just want a whole bunch of exercises I can cycle through. I'm not interested in shredding. I just want to improve technique, accuracy and strength. Coming from a bass background, my chord knowledge doesn't really extend beyond power chords, barre chords and just finding things which I think sound good. I'd like some exercises that help improve my chord switching and knowledge of different shapes, as well as some fun little runs.

Posted 19 Jun 2011, 3:07 p.m.

A simple riff thats actually quite hard on your picking hand is the intro riff to Lamb of God - Set To Fail. It really helps build up alternative pick strength, plus its sounds brutal :P

Posted 19 Jun 2011, 5:03 p.m.

I do like that song! I'll give it a go.

Posted 21 Jun 2011, 8:12 a.m.

aarghh i have millions!! have my last exam in like 8 hours so I'll post some tomorrow..

try learning the glasgow kiss riff.. it's pretty tricky

Posted 24 Jun 2011, 9:12 p.m.

ardeshir: aarghh i have millions!! have my last exam in like 8 hours so I'll post some tomorrow..

try learning the glasgow kiss riff.. it's pretty tricky

Love that riff!

Posted 24 Jun 2011, 10:04 p.m.

I just go on Ultimate Guitar and learn every song by Blink 182. Takes about 20 minutes.

Posted 25 Jun 2011, 12:59 p.m.

Mike182: I just go on Ultimate Guitar and learn every song by Blink 182. Takes about 20 minutes.

That wouldn't really improve any of his skills unless he just picked up guitar, lol

Just learn your favourite songs that are challanging man, that's the best way to improve cause youll actually be enjoying it instead of playing over exercises

Posted 25 Jun 2011, 7:46 p.m.

Best think for alternate picking is just a simple three note per string exercise

if you can do this, you're pretty sorted
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMhqAGDe ... re=related

Posted 26 Aug 2011, 9:37 p.m.

Do what I've been doing - ATTEMPT to learn cliffs of dover by EJ :)

Posted 1 Apr 2012, 5:38 p.m.

chupatty: Do what I've been doing - ATTEMPT to learn cliffs of dover by EJ :)

One of THE toughest songs to play.. He plays those quinteplets so fucking well. One of the smoothest shredders around..