Posted 7 Aug 2011, 5:58 p.m.

Hey guys,

Planning to do some home recordings with my band but wanted some advice on room acoustics. I'm not planning to spend a lot of money. Drums will be an electric kit, so that's not an issue, but wondering what to do about the amps and vocals? Bass will be DI. For the guitars, I was thinking of getting a small board lined with acoustic foam and then sandwich the mic between the cab and that. Wondering if it's worth then putting a duvet round the sides to further insulate? What do you guys reckon?

For the vocals, I'm not so sure. I was considering getting enough acoustic foam to cover a corner of a room for the singer to stand in. In theory, that should be ok as long as the sections are wide enough (will be recording using a mic with a cardroid polar pattern), but was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for alternative recording techniques?

Posted 7 Aug 2011, 6:23 p.m.

When we did our last set of recordings we put the vocalist in a duvet lined cupboard so create a makeshift vocal booth. It was a laugh and it actually worked quite well! :)

Posted 8 Aug 2011, 1:11 p.m.

Not sure how much you are planning to spend but I don't think cost will be so different from buying enough acoustic forms.

http://www.seelectronics.com/rf.html

I haven't recorded anything with condenser mic for about a year now. Dynamic mics are a lot less sensitive about acoustic of the room and if you don't have great room you might get better result. I use SM7 or SM57 for all the vocals.

As for guitars if you close mic the cab with SM57 you won't really get much acoustic of the room anyways so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Posted 10 Aug 2011, 12:07 p.m.

Did wonder about getting a reflection filter, but figured acoustic foam is a bit more flexible (could also use it for recording the guitars). Cheers for the advice from both of you - going to try recording everything using an SM58 and SM57. Will just use some duvets for some sound deadening with the vocals. Depending on how it all sounds, might then consider getting a condenser mic and/or acoustic foam.

Out of curiosity, how did you do the old Pink Widow recordings, Ya?

Posted 16 Aug 2011, 5:36 a.m.

just miked 4x12 and put acoustic foam to the wall facing the cab. For vocals did pretty much the same - Put acoustic foam on the wall facing the singer and put duvet behind.

...I think. It's such a long time ago!

Posted 22 Aug 2011, 1:39 p.m.

Yeah, that was a while ago now. I still have some Pink Widow songs on my iPhone!

Did a lot of recording this weekend. In the end, set up a closet (under the stairs) with lots of cushions and a duvet. Put the amps in first and then shoved in the singer! Seems to have come out pretty well, although I've still got lots of post-production work to do (compression, reverb, panning, etc) before mastering. Doesn't seem to be any real need for gating - guess the beauty of using an SM58 instead of a condenser mic is that it's not as sensitive and therefore picks up less background noise. I'll post a link up on here once I've finished mixing and mastering. Cheers for your help, everyone!

Posted 24 Aug 2011, 10:31 p.m.

- Adam -: When we did our last set of recordings we put the vocalist in a duvet lined cupboard so create a makeshift vocal booth. It was a laugh and it actually worked quite well! :)

He also got naked at one point. I'm pretty sure nudity is an important part of the recording process.

Posted 25 Aug 2011, 1:22 p.m.

cpurcell:
- Adam -: When we did our last set of recordings we put the vocalist in a duvet lined cupboard so create a makeshift vocal booth. It was a laugh and it actually worked quite well! :)

He also got naked at one point. I'm pretty sure nudity is an important part of the recording process.

Vital.

Posted 26 Aug 2011, 12:33 p.m.

Our vocalist did keep complaining that it was very hot in the cupboard. I'll have to suggest nakedness next time!