Posted 11 Oct 2011, 11:46 p.m.

Just recorded this in about 5 mins, it's like 80% improv. There's some cool melodies in there though I think, what do you guys think? Worth it working on it as a whole song (instrumental)?

Also, any suggestions on drum machines (software) or how to record bass?

link
http://soundcloud.com/piszczel/11th-oct

Posted 2 Dec 2011, 8:38 a.m.

Me, im geared up with over 5 gb in drums. Including full loops + individual drum samples. I have every kind of drum kit you can imagine with only the highest quality. I also have many effects to enhance the sounds (compressors, bass improve etc)...

Just what is it that you want as a drum beat??

Posted 2 Dec 2011, 10:21 a.m.

RobinMitchell: Me, im geared up with over 5 gb in drums. Including full loops + individual drum samples. I have every kind of drum kit you can imagine with only the highest quality. I also have many effects to enhance the sounds (compressors, bass improve etc)...

Just what is it that you want as a drum beat??

Lol, only had to wait about 8 weeks for a reply from someone :P

Erm I'm not really sure to be honest, I made up most of this recording on the spot (although with a metronome), it's more of a bunch of ideas rather than a complete recording. If I ever record something concrete I'd let you know, though would you be interested in doing some sort of collab?

Posted 2 Dec 2011, 3:23 p.m.

piszczel:

It's cos it's really hard to judge this sort of thing. There's obviously some good playing, but it's so loosely connected. Also, for most music fans who aren't guitar fans, a guitar solo is pretty boring unless it's played against something interesting. And it doesn't seem you put a lot of effort into the backing music, such as it is. That's totally understandable, but you're not going to inspire a great solo in yourself without some interesting chord progression/counter melodies to work with.

An interesting project for you might be to try and write something a bit like Satriani's Surfing with the alien. Write a piece of music, with sections (verses and choruses, if you want to think of it that way) and know when they're going to change, and what mode/scale/lick you're going to do when the change comes.

Posted 2 Dec 2011, 3:29 p.m.

cpurcell:
piszczel:

It's cos it's really hard to judge this sort of thing. There's obviously some good playing, but it's so loosely connected. Also, for most music fans who aren't guitar fans, a guitar solo is pretty boring unless it's played against something interesting. And it doesn't seem you put a lot of effort into the backing music, such as it is. That's totally understandable, but you're not going to inspire a great solo in yourself without some interesting chord progression/counter melodies to work with.

An interesting project for you might be to try and write something a bit like Satriani's Surfing with the alien. Write a piece of music, with sections (verses and choruses, if you want to think of it that way) and know when they're going to change, and what mode/scale/lick you're going to do when the change comes.

Couldn't agree more.

Posted 2 Dec 2011, 6:34 p.m.

cpurcell:
piszczel:

Oh, I agree, most of it is boring but there's some cool ideas in there and I was hoping people would tell me stuff like 'oh this acoustic bit sounds crap' or 'this lick sucks/is good'. I haven't done anything with that recording since then, but I might turn it into a proper song. As I said, most of it is made up on the spot so not gonna be the greatest quality. I literally recorded a rhythm track in 5 mins, and then a lead track on top.

Posted 2 Dec 2011, 6:34 p.m.

Also, if anyone is up for any sort of collab (even just an online one) I'm up for it.