Posted 14 Apr 2012, 8:38 p.m.

I'm looking to upgrade the ones on my Squier P Bass Special. There's nothing wrong with them technically, I just feel the tone I'm getting doesn't quite have enough 'oomph'..

Anyone got any tips?

Posted 15 Apr 2012, 12:14 a.m.

Mike.webb: I'm looking to upgrade the ones on my Squier P Bass Special. There's nothing wrong with them technically, I just feel the tone I'm getting doesn't quite have enough 'oomph'..

Anyone got any tips?

Real Seymour Duncans, not the Duncan Designed one that we both have :P

Posted 15 Apr 2012, 12:19 a.m.

VivaMike: Duncan Designed

Yuck. I had one for my electric that came with my Jackson. I instantly swapped it out for Dimarzio's.

Posted 18 Apr 2012, 12:25 a.m.

The only time i've had a good experience with 'pick-up manufacturer/guitar manufacturer' pick-ups is my ibanez that has Dimarzio/Ibz pick-ups, although not as good as real Dimarzios they are actually very good and their versatility is pretty impressive.

Duncan Designed, EMG-ESP and i'm sure there are others are generally not great.

Sorry to go slightly off topic, I have no idea about bass pick-ups. I'm assuming Seymour Duncan, EMG, Dimarzio all do some pretty good bass pick-ups though. Just look at what your favourite players use, that's what I do :lol:

Posted 23 Apr 2012, 1:34 p.m.

Went for SD's, was thinking about EMG's but couldn't be bothered with the hassle of converting my bass to active... gonna be tricky enough replacing the pickups since squire haven't actually given me a backplate :( fun times to be had

Posted 23 Apr 2012, 5:37 p.m.

Mike.webb: Went for SD's, was thinking about EMG's but couldn't be bothered with the hassle of converting my bass to active... gonna be tricky enough replacing the pickups since squire haven't actually given me a backplate :( fun times to be had

How would you even go about converting a bass to active? Where would you put the battery?

Posted 23 Apr 2012, 6:07 p.m.

Dremel.

Posted 23 Apr 2012, 6:10 p.m.

Freja: Dremel.

Does anybody really do this? I suppose manufacturers do it to the active basses they make. Yep I've answered my own question.

Posted 23 Apr 2012, 7:22 p.m.

I've seen someone do it. They didn't actually need to take that much wood out at all to fit a battery in with the pots/jack. Didn't affect the acoustic qualities of the instrument unplugged in any noticeable way, so I don't imagine it would've harmed it much.