Posted 12 Oct 2012, 5:04 p.m.

I know what I don't like, not that keen on Ska Punk, Old School Rock, Hardcore, Metal, Punk, Grunge, Punk. I quite like some proper ska/reggae, some indie/alt.rock music, little bits and bobs of modern classical stuff. I suppose I like music that sounds like 'indie' best, but then anything that strays too close to a genre ends up sounding either standard or cliched. Ska/reggae is fun to listen and groove to, but from what I've heard of it, it seems very formulaic, are there any 'alternative reggae' acts out there? Aside from the legend that is James Taylor of course.

The best kind of music is the stuff that doesn't just adhere to any specific criteria - I guess I agree with Chris, I just like stuff that sounds good to me - mainly that's melodic songs that are emotionally cathartic in nature, with interesting and innovative use of chord progressions, melodies, harmonies, with an intelligent arrangement and unique style. Not really a genre, but certainly leans more towards the kind of music that a few indie bands make than other genres on the list.

The fact that I'm crap at defining music anyway kinda makes this hard for me!

And where are the Folk or Blues options? or at least Roots?

And Funk!! where is the funk!!!

Get the funk out!

I only listen to neo-classical-disco-grunge-fusion.

And Funk-Hardcore.

indeed, where is the postprogrockbluesfolkjazz? cant possibuly have a pole without that!

James: are there any 'alternative reggae' acts out there? Aside from the legend that is James Taylor of course.

are we thinking of the same james taylor here? if so im sure he's more a country or folk singer.... a legend none the less though. i saw him at the albert hall a few yeras ago and he was awesome

oops that was me

he's a little reggae definitely, there's elements of it in his stuff - though he could also be classified as folk and country, so I'm pretty sure it's the same guy. He's kind of got a unique songwriting style and sound that I've never heard anything like. Whilst I'm not a huge fan, I do like a lot of his stuff and he transcends genres extremely well with the music he makes - he is indeed awesome.

You're not getting mixed up with the James Taylor quartet are you? They're funk/reggae, and not to be confused with a totally different James Taylor who is a serious folk/country acoustic guitar legend. Both James Taylors are damn cool though.