1 2 3 .. 6 Next
Posted 9 Feb 2018, 7:34 p.m.

Well would you look at that, it's almost time for the current exec to step down and allow new, fresh and inspiring members to take our place. 

Taking on an exec position is a great way to get involved in the running of BandSoc, have your say in the goings-on, and change the society for the better. As current and past exec members will attest, being on the exec is a fulfilling experience, and although can be challenging at times, is ultimately great fun.

All members of the society can nominate themselves for any role, and members are welcome to stand for multiple exec positions. To nominate yourself, please reply to this thread stating which position you're running for.

The elections will be held on March 2nd  (Friday Week 8) in OC1.03 and will involve every nominee giving a 1 minute speech to convince the society why they should be elected (speech times are increased to 2 minutes for Presidential nominees). Votes will be taken on the night, and the new exec will be decided by the end of the evening. So even if you're not running for an exec position, try to come along to exercise your democratic right to vote and have a say in the running of the society! Nominations will close just prior to the elections taking place.

The new exec will take on their roles officially after Easter, but will help with the running of this year's BotB final in Week 9.

Don't hesitate to chat with any of the current exec members (either through Facebook or in real life) to get a better grip on exec duties - we strongly encourage those interested to run!

The Exec roles:

President

• Organisation and chairing of the Executive Committee,
  • Co-ordinating day-to-day and long-term society business,
  • Arbitrating in internal and external disputes and conflicts,
  • Arranging and planning society events with the aid of the Vice President,
  • Communication with external bodies (Student union email and society enquiries),
  • Assist other Executive Committee members,
  • Provide a guide to help their successor,
  • Other tasks and duties required for the society.

Vice President

• Upholding the Equal Opportunities policy to ensure gig opportunities are distributed fairly
    - Collating a list of local venues and musical resources,
  • Liaising with local venues for external gig opportunities,
  • Assisting President with the arranging and planning of society events,

Secretary

• Archiving society business through minutes recorded at Executive and General Meetings,
  • The regulation and upholding of the constitution,
  • Booking Meeting Rooms,
  • Organising society social events,
  • Being the main point of communication between the membership and the Executive Committee (all member emails etc),
  • Maintenance of any notice boards or signs within the Practice Room,

Treasurer

• Payments to external bodies and any relevant expenses of society members,
  • Submitting the budget to the Societies Officer and updating society inventory,
  • Taking Practice Room bookings and money for bookings,
  • Liaison with Union Finance Department,
  • Fair and responsible management of society funds,
  • Management of fines and money received from members,

Publicity Officer

• Producing, replicating and distributing promotional material for society and society events,
  • Commercial sponsorship and marketing research,

Technical Officer

• Maintaining the Practice Room and the equipment within,
  • Maintaining the live PA and all associated monitors, speakers, cables, etc, and keeping all in good working condition, for use by members of the society or other,
  • Judging when equipment needs to be replaced, and taking steps to do so. Liasing with the Treasurer and President to achieve this,
  • Managing the hiring of equipment to other societies and external bodies,

Webmaster

• Maintaining and updating the Bandsoc website and SU webspace,
  • Manage web space and hosting,
  • Shitpost religiously

Social Secretary

• Arranging and organising social events,
  • Devising ways of encouraging interaction between society members,

Current Nominations:

President

Amy Fawcett

Neil Jobanputra

Vice President

Lisa Malki

Alex Pickup

Secretary

Alex Pickup

Neil Jobanputra

Julia Wyjadlowska

Jack Osmond

Treasurer

Liam Carroll

Jack Osmond

Publicity Officer

Amy Fawcett

Julia Wyjadlowsk

Naomi Curtis

Technical Officer

Tristan Thompson

Richard Caswell-Jones

Webmaster

Neil Jobanputra

Lisa Malki

Social Secretary

Alex Pickup

Julia Wyjadlowska

Ollie Rosoman

Samuel Sutton

Addendum: Claiming that you will promptly write up the judges comments after each heat will vastly improve your chances of being elected

Posted 9 Feb 2018, 7:54 p.m.

I'm running for treasurer again and will dominate the competition

Posted 9 Feb 2018, 8:11 p.m.

I'm running for treasurer again and will dominate the competition

You mean you're still going to be here next year?! (Not that I can talk).

Posted 9 Feb 2018, 11:11 p.m.

Hello yes I'd like to run for vice president. I'll type up the judges' comments before they've even written them, ngl my typing is elite.

Posted 9 Feb 2018, 11:20 p.m.

I'll type up the judges' comments before they've even written them, ngl my typing is elite.

Lol tell that to my handwriting :D

Posted 9 Feb 2018, 11:25 p.m.

Hi I'm running for president! I promise not to steal any money from the society!

Posted 10 Feb 2018, 11:13 a.m.

Guys, as a past Exec member of 2 years (publicity and VP), I strongly urge you to nominate yourselves and join the exec. I hope that you will, like me, look back at your days at Warwick and not remember any of your courses or exams, but have those memories dominated by the wonderful time you had with Bandsoc and the great friends you make along the way.

Posted 10 Feb 2018, 11:14 a.m.

Hey guys. I'm gonna run for social secretary and regular secretary. Bandsoc for the many, not the few

Posted 10 Feb 2018, 11:56 a.m.

I was techy last year and had a great time - you make some great chums, play & listen to lots of great music and gain some really good experience working with other people - it's a good old laff, run run run 

Posted 10 Feb 2018, 12:50 p.m.

Hey, I’m going to run for Vice President and secretary