Posted 1 Feb 2019, 8:05 p.m.

My thoughts:

Smoking Kills - great songs, but stop playing in between them and work on the stage banter if you’re going to have it there.

Forester - really cool - felt the guitar tone was a bit unclear in some sections, but excellent rhythmically and the songwriting was lovely.

Tokyo - my band so no comments.

Fild - actually quite liked it, felt you could have showed off a bit more guitar work though. Feel the scores are a little unfair.

Posted 1 Feb 2019, 8:07 p.m.

Overall though, I feel that the judges have been spot on with their rankings this year. The semis and the final are shaping up to be delightful

Posted 4 Feb 2019, 11:09 a.m.

I think the rankings were spot on. 

The best band overall were Smoking Kills. Very tight and sounded the most rounded, albeit very well trodden ground. 

Forrester were the most interesting for me and could have been the most enjoyable had the set been tight - unfortunately it was not (essentially, for me, play that set tight and I MIGHT have had you first).

Tokyo had a great vibes and again more interesting than smoking kills but even less tight than Forrester so same issues really. Maybe a contender for wild card? (I have no idea having not seen anything). 

Fild is a top guitarist but unfortunately backing tracks never do well in BOTB especially when they are not loud enough in monitors (not your fault probably) so it's hard to stick in time. I am sure we will see him tear it up in another band shortly ;) 

Overall, was nice to see some genuinely interesting and music that will hopefully mean Bandsoc will have a brighter future with some great talent - keep working at it bands!

Posted 6 Feb 2019, 11:42 a.m.

...unfortunately backing tracks never do well in BOTB...

Don't think I agree with that at all, I've just not yet heard it done well

Posted 6 Feb 2019, 6:19 p.m.

you can disagree with it - but my statement on backing tracks never doing well remains fact ;)

I also think that even a good version (by botb standards) would still lose out to a good band.

Posted 7 Feb 2019, 12:13 p.m.

Wait til u see El Gato fam

Posted 7 Feb 2019, 3:21 p.m.

We both know I'm never going to see it. 

Posted 8 Feb 2019, 8:51 a.m.

You might!