1 2 Next
Posted 23 Feb 2019, 4:39 a.m.

Judge: The Botch

Artist: Ellie Dixon

Musicianship/Skill - 4.5

Excellent drums locking in so tight - bass does well to craft an identity whilst driving the songs along. Guitars are exceptional - stage right is killing the solos whilst stage left balances the harmonic range. Would spend more time with the EQ to perfect this however. Vocals are superb - great range and a commanding presence, not a single blip throughout. Drums display excellent dynamic control - hi hats are bright and snare is crisp.

Professionalism - 4.5

Super strong start - all the stops and starts of a pro band - great dynamics. 

Shame this is just a solo project - this band is tight! Perform under Ellie Dixon, good enough for Bryan Adams! Relaxed persona on stage with genuine banter and excellent lead into song outs. On/off no probs and never felt you outstayed your welcome.

Songwriting - 5

1st song shines with an incredible chorus hook leading into a super strong 2nd song that delivers so much personality. The set delivers on so many levels with catchy lyrics, catchy rhythms and a solid identity.

Creativity - 4

So contemporary - wonderful poppy sound. Dark and dirty at all the right times - I was going to draw likeness to Maggie Rogers, but you are in your own league. The overly poppy vibe is balanced by superb music decisions that display a very professional set. These songs should definitely be recorded just as they are.

Stage Presence/Entertainment Value - 4

Solid, solid. Another band knowing what they're doing. A lot of fun on stage and great interplay between members. Really enjoyed this.

Overall - 22/25

Wonderful!

Artist: Shibboleth

Musicianship/Skill - 5

Bass: Excellent tone - own that low end - great decision to not overdrive it to provide the guitar with ample room to kill it.

Guitar: Monstrous monstrous sound! Like getting punched in the face repeatedly.

Vox: Hands down the best I've ever heard in BotB (sorry Thompson - but you've been trumped).

Drums: So tight - double pedal did not drop time and coped so well with the syncopation of the guitar. Really top notch.

Professionalism - 4.5

Jaw-dropping set - the moment the vocalist started screaming it was over. I thought it was already over by the 3rd band tonight. Superb musicality on display with such a show of professionalism. Music was tight - on/off no problems.

Songwriting - 4.5

Wow where do I begin. I've spent most of the set trying to watch you. Excellent ebb and flow throughout the set and the breakdowns were storming. You chose style over substance in your songs to really deliver a tour de force of metal. I'm still picking up my jaw from the floor.

Creativity - 3

Every doubt I'd have about your genre is pushed to one side with your upbeat and contemporary stylings - it's so musical - in a way only Satan would be proud. My only critique is the lack of breakdowns - which you then suitably deliver by the end of the set. the stabs are on point and you just delivered a phenomenal sound.

Stage Presence/Entertainment Value - 5

I have never felt unsafe as a judge until this mosh pit kicked off. Fucking killing it in the audience. Just the vibe alone in the audience is testament to your curiosity on stage. You don't give a flying fuck - middle fingers up in the air. What an awe-inspiring performance. Superb vocalist - commanding stage presence.

Overall - 22/25

Artist: Human Resources

Musicianship/Skill - 3

Thunderous drums lead the charge - superb patterns mirroring vocal melodies - basically able to replace the sparse use of the guitar leading to an almighty swarming sound when everything kicks in. Guitar is rough and ready - but a suitable tone throughout the set.

Professionalism - 3

No issues on/off stage but there was a little jack issue - watch it! The punk vibe has issues with the EQ - but more than made up for it with the storming wall of sound. 

Ran over ever so slightly - watch the timing.

Songwriting - 5

Yes, yes, yes! What an awesome 1st song. The pacing, lyrics, rhythm - incredible. Your 2nd song doubles down on some incredible vocal melodies - eat my salad is phenomenal - slow grungy rock contrasted with stadium-esque chorus-like vocals. 3rd song so Nirvana-like - I'm just gobsmacked - this is an incredible set of songs - each with its own originality - year complementary between each other. On reflection 1st song is weakest as I hear the polish of the 2nd and 3rd songs. 4th song return to punky vibes and rebellious attitude - fantastic yet again.

Creativity - 4

Reminds me of one of the greatest bands that never made it - Fuzzy Logic. Organised chaos - completely in your own league. Excellent use of drums and bass to craft a compelling and dramatic sound.  The rough and ready punk vibe is pretty done - but in your own self-expression you really bring your own twist to the mix. This is 'Not Right' done right!

Stage Presence/Entertainment Value - 3

Perfectly comfortable on stage - guitarist commands the stage with her gaze. Bassist just a little static on stage, but hardly an issue when behind the mic. Drums just owning it on stage. The sound grabs you and the lyrics hook you in. I feel like you could double down on the grungy 'throw yourself all over stage' but equally you're already killing it with your songs.

Overall - 18/25

What the indigo girls should've been! Awesome!

Artist: River Purple

Musicianship/Skill - 4.5

Solid rhythm section balances several timing changes and dynamic ranges. Guitars work best when tearing into it, but equally lead parts shine during verses. More separation of EQ in guitars and more effects to add a solid identity to the sound. Vocals are superb - great consistency throughout - though watch the grit in the later songs.

Professionalism - 5

Excellent performance from a very well-practiced band. Cannot fault a well thought out set or a commanding vocalist playing well off an audience. Set in time and  - just well done on professionalism. 

Songwriting - 2

Your songs have a very polished sound - a fair amount of care put into song structures, 3rd song verses stand out with something interesting going but songs 1 and 2 were just so sub standard. Particularly let down by uninteresting lyrics of 'Put the kettle on' (yawn). Songs really suffer from unimaginative lyrics - not quite found your identity yet. Concepts are unashamedly MOR sounding.

Creativity - 1

Really trying to like the creativity here - but there's a tendency to fall into that Keane indie category. Nothing particularly inventive on display which is a shame for such a great unit of musicians. Vocal falsetto usage a nice touch but drowned out on occasion.

Stage Presence/Entertainment Value - 4.5

Wow, finally a band that owns the stage - incredible performance from the singer - the interplay with the band and audience, the confidence and hair sweeps! Almost man-crushing here - great job! Great solid performance from the rest of the band.

Overall - 17/25

Just an overly polite middle-of-the-road band. Great potential with a very talented band - just lacking an identity and the right songs.

Artist: SON

Musicianship/Skill - 3

Guitar in desperate need of compression and better tone - so muddy and overly bass. Vocal harmonies are in unison which blend a little too much rather than providing some contrast. Guitars are so out of tune - watch the retune before you get on stage. Vocals suffer drastically with poor pitching and monitoring - you guys need to hear each other more. But I can say you guys can both sing really well. Guitar solos sound great! Good addition of the acoustic guitar - but out of tune! More vocals from guitar too please - I like the 3 voices interplay of the 4th song a lot!

Professionalism - 2.5

Monitoring and sound checking evidently failed as the out of tune vocals are everywhere - I'd add a little more reverb too. You hold yourselves pretty well on stage - but a lot more attention to the sound of the guitar and vocal harmonies would really elevate your performance! Lovely crowd participation - kept it going throughout 4th song. Went just over time as well.

Songwriting - 4

1st song shines when you join voices but pitching issues limit the song. 2nd song - lovely hook 'Snowblind' - great lyric. Chorus suffers with streamy electric guitar. 3rd song just wasn't comparable - you lose the song structures that made song 1 and 2 really strong. The contrasted double pace chorus didn't do it for me. 4th song has great potential but pre-chorus could be reworked to join verse and chorus together. Overall I really am impressed with the songwriting - good concepts and lyrics play well off melodies and guitar - choruses are well defined and on occasion shine with vocal interplay.

Creativity - 3.5

Whimsical, He and She dual vocal loveliness. Just wishing it was civil wars. Use of vocal harmonies under utilised - definitely find some harmony and give yourselves a chance to shine - 3rd song harmonies are better. Maybe switch out the electric guitar for acoustic - loved when the electric was playing lead over acoustic.

Stage Presence/Entertainment Value - 2

A solid performance with your voices taking centre stage. Would love to see a little more interplay between vocalists. I like the separation on stage - really using it well to fill the stage. Overall nice to listen to - but nothing overly enticing about the stage presence.

Overall - 15/25

Posted 23 Feb 2019, 6:18 a.m.

Judge: Will

Musicianship/Skill - 5

Drums: Lovely feel, excellent dynamic control and use of fills.

Bass: Playing locks into the kick with he crispiest of tones - amazing amount of growl and rasp. Deftly executed slaps with just the right amount of attack.

Guitar (strat): Awesome playing, solo early in the set sparkles with jazzy intervals.

Vox: Strong distinctive vox. You sing well in your genre. She has a great charisma and all the banter is not only really natural, it's well timed and in sync with the rest of the band.

Professionalism - 4

Very professional demeanour - knew how to get the best sound out of their respective instruments.

Songwriting - 5

1st song: Catchy with solid hook - memorable and bright.

2nd song: Amazing first section, all instruments contributing their own twist on an offset but distinctive intro. Rest of the song is strong but the start is the highlight.

Yellow: The song about putting the kettle on was my favourite song so far. But Yellow is a certified banger. Well played guys. Have the song and the performance. That's a professional level of songwriting there.

Creativity - 3

Used generic conventions well. Stops and vocal melodies excellently aligned and nothing was overplayed.

Very strong stage presence. Did just enough in the slower sections to hold attention. Singer has a great energy that holds the audience.

Overall - 21.5/25

Amazing band, I could easily see them at a decent level festival fully holding their own. A great set from musicians with a strong judgement of how to serve a song. Final song got a cheer from the audience for a very good reason. Excellently done.

Artist: Shibby BOYES

Musicianship/Skill - 4.5

Drums: Solid, some nice kick work. Nice blasts mate.

Vox: Holy fuck where did this come from, lows, highs, pig squeals this guy has it all. That shit is not easy to carry off to this standard.

Guitar: Excellent tone, great variation between slow riffs and fast runs. Triplets are crisp and clear. Locked into kick.

Bass: Tone is a smidge lumpy, but when you really whack it you get the growl these lines need.

Professionalism - 5

No fuss and full of energy.

Songwriting - 3.5

Brutal and punishing riffs, well developed and grinding through sections. Smash that open string, make it work. And they do. I was tempted to say songs are a little repetitive (which they are) but they develop with enough power and energy to carry off the hypnotic aspect of the writing. Crushing it.

Creativity - 3.5

You operate well within the death metal genre. A combination of driving but assured rhythms and crushing vocals with squeals and blast beats making an appearance. 

A stellar performance. I can't help but think I need the riffs to be less repetitive though - you are clearly awesome, you can do better than playing the same riff to this degree. That's important here, it's about degrees of repetition - so it's only a slight criticism.

Fucking awesome stage presence - wall of death - I don't think I've seen that at BandSoc before - making that BandSoc history.

Overall - 21.5/25

That was girth son. You're all nasty and by nasty I mean brutal bastards. Bathe in it.

Musicianship/Skill - 4

Vox: Keeps resonance in lower register and uses falsetto and grit excellently - good job.

Guitar (tele): Really nice effects, lovely texture, flashier lead in 2nd song. Holds fort well.

Guitar (Jag): Nice solo in 1st song, nice use of pinches in first song.

Bass: Serves music well, but the tone is too boomy. There's having body and there's lacking clarity.

Drums: Energetic and fits the vibe well.

Professionalism - 3

Strong mannerism with the crowd. You can tell the front man is experienced and comfortable. Guitar tones gel nicely. The only thing to improve tone wise is the bass EQ - Bassist stepped on lead as I wrote this haha.

Songwriting - 4

1st song: Bouncy start with a really nicely paced chorus, with a nice falsetto line that's pulled off efficiently. Tempo change - cool that's not easy to keep tight.

2nd song: Good use of dynamics at the start.

Later songs grow into more of the same and a satisfying finale.

Creativity - 2.5

Some nice melodic flourishes on vocals and guitars in particular. I'm getting shades of Arctic Monkeys and The Kooks which treads a well-worn formula, but you certainly do it well.

Each of the members are comfortable on stage in the energetic sections. The frontman is in the crowd working it and the rest of the band are holding it down. Well played.

Overall - 17.5/25

Very enjoyable set. Well written, well performed. Best stage presence I have seen from a band collectively. Everyone on stage enjoying what they are playing is infectious and comes off well. Some great guitar and vocal work.

Musicianship/Skill - 2.5

Guitar: Out of tune, mainly chord work - nice blues playing when guitar is added.

Vox: Amazing voice, powerful when it needs to be, soft and haunting in softer sections. Makes harmonies pop.

Vox (floral shirt): Solid. Falters slightly in harmonies and sometimes overpowers a bit - nice start to second song.

Professionalism - 1

Guitar definitely could do with a bit of EQ and compression to tone down the bass when you play louder - ran over a bit.

Songwriting - 3

First song pleasant to listen to but not memorable. Carried by some nice soft vocalisations at the end.

Second song has nice change of dynamic. Octave harmony works nicely in the verse. Chords aren't overly imaginative but they don't need to be.

Creativity - 2.5

Made to seem more creative by its limitations: I don't often see bands with more vocalists than instrumentalists so its strange to have focal fullness with just the (mainly) one guitar. Pleasant but not ground breaking.

Stage Presence/Entertainment Value - 2

Collected, quite reserved performance. Doesn't need loads of energy but more audience interaction wouldn't go amiss. Ok it comes later, fair play. You could be a bit more assertive with it. That is part of the effect of having people join in.

Overall - 11/25

An enjoyable set, but not without its limitations. I would like to see this with drums and bass factored in to the line up. It could deffo focus your sound.

Musicianship/Skill - 2

Vox: Loud and out of tune - is that the point?

Drums: Also loud but more assured.

Bass: Follows the guitar with a few fills - stronger vox.

Guitar: Mainly chords in first song. Discordant parts in second song are played woodenly.

Professionalism - 1.5

Bass cuts out. About 15 mins so good time wise.

Songwriting - 2

Starts off with an interesting take on Ariana Grande's latest single.

Third song is oddly grungy - an interesting twist on the punk get-up but it's still not very listenable.

Creativity - 1.5

It's punk so not massively pushing new ground, although there were some interesting flavours in there (namely grunge chord progressions).

Surprisingly static for  punk act. Lots of attitude but that's sometimes not enough. As a punk band you have to earn your points here. Quirky song names don't cut it here.

Overall - 9/25

Loads of attitude but not enough technical ability here. You could be more energetic on stage to match your shrill loudness.

Posted 23 Feb 2019, 7:13 a.m.

Judge: The Thompson

Musicianship/Skill - 4

Drums: Lovely work at the back. Snare hits could be a touch louder, but totally in the pocket.

Bass: A bit loud, but it's fucking excellent. Your own amp with that guitar gives you exactly the sound you're after, and it shows.

RH guitar: Weaker than the rest, but pretty solid and better than most.

LH guitar: Great solo work and throughout - much better when we can hear you, eh?

Vox: Really great, all aspects utterly lovely, and you've very clearly done this for a while. Effects also very good, and used to their full potential.

Professionalism - 5

Stops are so tight, so very tight - a very professional performance all-round. I'd happily pay to see this live, and will certainly be giving you many 0.6p's in Spotify streams over the coming weeks.

No fucking around, and bang on time - great.

Songwriting - 4

Song 1: Well put together, really interesting vocal lines, and great lyrical work.

Song 2: Student subject matter, fun. Bass overpowers in the opener, and doesn't let the lead guitar take control, which was disappointing as it was ace. Cool afterwards, and it was well crafted as a piece of music.

Song 3: Run-away best song of the set, ace.

Creativity - 4

It's all very well put together, and though it doesn't contain any enormous novelty, it's a well-honed and defined sound, and this goes a long way. Some really cool stuff in the music, and the lyrical content is properly thought through.

Another excellent front - where have the proper front people been this year? Your crowd is clearly out in force. Band are totally rocking, apart from RH guitar, who looks a little out of place on stage right next to the other three. Banter is solid, but a little rambling at points with the plugs. It's important to do, but tone it back a touch. Performance generally very solid though.

Overall - 22/25

Excellent act, and extremely well served by a backing band - I haven't seen you solo but I'll bet this is leaps and bounds better than your solo stuff, so stick with it. I could easily see this on the festival scene, and in fact, I hope I get to do exactly that - grand.

Artist: Shibboleth

Musicianship/Skill - 3.5

Drums: Punchy, but occasionally a bit fluffy on the timing - not as tight as it needs to be. Nice blast beats though!

Bass: Not quite locked in, but generally very good. Shredz.

Guitar: As with bass.

Vox: THAT'S WHAT I'M FUCKING TALKING ABOUT. Best heavy vox since two fellas called Steffan and Joel in about 2012. And me, maybe a bit. Actually better than all of us. Pig squeals fucking brutal.

Professionalism - 5

Exactly what a death metal band should look like. Definitely could have been tighter, but I've been to shitloads of worse shows. I'm in the pit now - no more to say.

Songwriting - 4.5

Song 1: Straight up death metal, fucking cool, Didn't go a lot of places, but (?).

Song 2: More of the same, but great wall of sound. Could have done with some more development but the audience (and I) loved it.

Song 3: Nice verse riff, interesting non-standard time signatures - rad.

Creativity - 3.5

Down the nose Black Dahlia rip, but brilliantly done. I've seen this done worse at a thousand shows by internationally famous bands. I walked out of a Cannibal Corpse show last year cause it was dull as fuck - I wouldn't have walked out of this.

A WALL OF DEATH. A WALL OF FUCKING DEATH. I haven't seen that in years! Front leads, band follow with ruthless abandon. I can't tell you how desperately I want to be in that pit more than at this table. This is how it's done, fucking great.

Overall - 21.5/25

I've waited years to see this in BandSoc. I'd add another guitar, but I'm all over this shit. 11/10 would see again.

Musicianship/Skill - 4

Drums: Run of the mill, but very competent at the old rock beat.

LH guitar: Struggling to find your frequency slot in the mix, though great when I can hear you. Vox fab.

RH guitar: Some cool work in here, and cuts through well, unlike LH.

Bass: Sometimes a bit buzzy, but generally alright. Tone a bit odd, needs work as it cost you clarity.

Vox: Very good - mic tech, diction, tuning and tone all well honed and totally on point.

Professionalism - 5

Comes across very well, and I could easily see this on the lower-tier professional circuit. Generally very tight, but it dropped a touch in song 3. The performance comes across extremely well, and it feels like watching a proper band. 15 min and 1 second - this says everything about your professionalism.

Songwriting - 3

Song 1: Nice start, but dropped that first stop. Great afterwards, but solo lost in mix  slow down not quite carried.

Song 2: Nice FX, and very well built into the song. Sounds like I'd hear it on the radio, which is a good thing. Floaty bit built very well, end a bit weak.

Song 3: Ooo, surfy. Lyrics a bit lost - I think you're less confident with this one, and it showed. Weakest so far.

Song 4: Great chorus. Fucking great chorus.

Creativity - 3

Some nice new ideas on the traditional indie, which we're all very bored of hearing at this point. This had enough novelty to keep me interested, and I'm really not a fan of this genre generally speaking, so that's saying a lot. Backing vox in song 4 left me asking why there wasn't more of this - it worked really well and would have elsewhere too.

A proper front makes all the difference. Excellent engagement between members on stage and with the audience. This is what a band looks like, and I'd be happy with this performance from a pro-grade support act. Bigging up the other bands in your banter is always a winner with us, though it was a bit obvious. Band are all rocking after the front's lead - great.

Overall - 20/25

Very very good - keep at it, I think this is one of the few BandSoc acts that could actually make it at the next level. You may struggle to cut through with a true niche of your own (it's a big world of great music!), but you're leaps and bounds beyond the majority of this competition.

Musicianship/Skill - 3

Drums: Very much holding the band together from the back, lost without you.

Guitar/Vox: Diction is a tad weak, so we lose a few of the lyrics. Vox are crap, but they're clearly meant to be. Guitar sufficient for angry punk.

Bass/Vox: Same comment on vox as for guitarist  - not being able to hear the lyrics really ruins the message. Bass also sufficient. Singing actually pretty alright tune wise!

Professionalism - 4

Better honed than last year - you're properly invested in your non-conventional subject matter which comes through in the performance. I still think it could be an angrier performance, but its not bad for the genre (which I essentially regard as anti-professional by definition). Feedback squeal (and not a good one)! Timing near-perfect.

Songwriting - 3

Song 1: Yeah, fucking dump him. Great.

Song 2: Cool riff actually, very nice. Fell apart a bit after that, but cool nonetheless. Chunky beatdown, awful harmony, but fuck it.

Song 3: Rad chorus, catchy as fuck.

Song 4: Another solid riff, and catchy again, even if it's frankly stupid. Not quite as good as you built it up to be in the break.

Creativity - 3

Completely down the line, as it should be for what you're going for. Low score, but fucking great. Second song mixes it up a bit, though it wasn't played great. Lyrically different from the majority of similar music, even if it's complete gumpf. Defining a new genre is the opposite of what this is, but that's clearly deliberate.

Stage Presence/Entertainment Value - 3.5

Lacking if I'm honest - I think you need to throw down a lot harder, particularly in the heavier sections. The performance doesn't quite match the music, I think you need to get more comfortable playing the music so you can go buck wild in the stage show. Audience enjoyed it though.

Overall - 16.5/25

The audience actually gave a fuck, and there were some heads bobbing. A great example of this style of punk done well, though not quite very well. Fucking loved it though - nice one.

Musicianship/Skill - 3.5

Guitar: You really should have tuned before you got on the stage. Playing itself is ok. Needs compression.

Vox: Beautiful, airy tone, really nice stuff most of the time. Occasional bum note.

Guitar/Vox: Sometimes your harmonies are excellent, but it makes it all the more obvious when you hit the flat notes at the bottom of your range. Potentially thrown off by the out-of-tune guitar. Guitar work is better.

Professionalism - 1.5

Not tuning properly is a real killer - pro bands definitely tune first. Set is carried off without issue, but improper preparation resulting from the lack of tuning is utterly cutting throughout the set. Asking the audience to clap when you don't have a drummer was a bad call - without a beat they totally lost time and this pushed you out too. A touch over.

Songwriting - 4

Song 1: Nicely put together, but you don't quite pull it off in the playing department. Some lovely vocal harmonies when you do.

Song 2: Nice stuff, but female vox are under-represented in the harmonies at points - you're occupying the same frequency space and you end up drowning each other out.

Song 3: Better than 2, definitely.

Song 4: Didn't work so well as the others, audience lost as a result.

Creativity - 4

Nice stuff, and it's certainly not run-of-the-mill. Some lovely ideas actually, and the set is well put together, particularly in the well constructed harmonies, which is rare on this stage. They aren't always well constructed though, and you let yourself down when they aren't.

Bant's a bit awkward, as is the performance, but the audience is captured by it all. Could benefit from some more engagement with the audience, but I appreciate that the restrained setting of the set requires a fairly reserved performance. You lose the audience towards the end because of the lack of engagement. Final song improved this, but it was super awks.

Overall - 15/25

I really enjoyed this, but it left me wanting a lot more in terms of polish. Work out those frequency ranges, tune the bloody guitar, and practice your crowd work at live shows, and this will be utterly brilliant.

Posted 23 Feb 2019, 7:16 a.m.

Final Scores

1st Ellie Dixon (1.5+1.5+1=4)

2nd Shibboleth (1.5+1.5+2=5)

3rd River Purple (4+3+3=10)

4th Human Resources (3+5+4=12)

5th SON (5+4+5=14)

River Purple through on wildcard.

Posted 23 Feb 2019, 11:41 a.m.

*Unashamedly MOR (Middle of the road) sounding*

Posted 23 Feb 2019, 1:19 p.m.

sorry about bass loudness - I did tell soundman about it but he seemed to think was fine...

Posted 23 Feb 2019, 1:20 p.m.

Botch I’m suprised you were so harsh on RP - thought you’d love them!

Posted 23 Feb 2019, 3:38 p.m.

Tbh all the criticisms River Purple got we were aware of re. identity and creativity - we know we need to write some new stuff, the comments are fair

Posted 23 Feb 2019, 3:41 p.m.

Thompson gave Tristan "it's not wanker's cramp I just rock too much" Thompson a 4.5 for songwriting and "4 chords no actual song endings unplug myself from the amp why don't I" River Purple a 3 There's no justice in this world.

Posted 23 Feb 2019, 4:39 p.m.

My advice - shred harder

Also got deeply confused by double usage of my surname