Posted 30 Nov 2010, 3:28 p.m.

Hey guys, I'm new to bandsoc so I figured I'd start with a question:

I've been learning drums for several weeks now and I figure it's time to get a kit of my own (especially since it's christmas soon). I already have an Ion Drum Rocker Rock Band controller which can be converted into a fulyl functional electric drumkit with the purchase of a couple of accessories (bass drum, midi brain etc.).

The other option of course is to bug parents for a proper acoustic drumkit for christmas.

Given that I intend to continue learning to play and join a band at some point what do you guys think?

Posted 30 Nov 2010, 3:59 p.m.

I am a guitarist, so do not know a great deal to do with drums. However... If I were you I would go for the acoustic kit. Surely its best (especially where you a beginner) to get the feel of an acoustic kit well, and then perhaps get an electric kit to practice with in halls (poor drummers at uni) when you are a little more experienced??

There are some very experienced drummers on here who will help you more! Fin? Jamie? Jim?

Oh welcome to Bandsoc as well!

Posted 30 Nov 2010, 4:24 p.m.

agaeki: Hey guys, I'm new to bandsoc so I figured I'd start with a question:

I've been learning drums for several weeks now and I figure it's time to get a kit of my own (especially since it's christmas soon). I already have an Ion Drum Rocker Rock Band controller which can be converted into a fulyl functional electric drumkit with the purchase of a couple of accessories (bass drum, midi brain etc.).

The other option of course is to bug parents for a proper acoustic drumkit for christmas.

Given that I intend to continue learning to play and join a band at some point what do you guys think?

It depends on what you want really.

Acoustic stuff is better. It looks better on stage, feels better to play and so on. However, if you're at uni, you will have no space to set it up and play, you'll also piss off your neighbours. Electric kits can be packed up fairly small and put in a corner.

If you want to play in bands at uni there is a bandsoc kit available for hire for live gigs. having your own acoustic kit is great and I wouldn't give mine up for the world, but if your just starting out and you want to practice at home I'd suggest getting an electric kit now. you can get an acoustic further down the line when you're happy to devote the space to it.

Posted 30 Nov 2010, 4:28 p.m.

Electric kits are very very handy if you want to do your own recordings. Jim and Harry can vouch for that. But obviously nothing beats an acoustic kit.