My Friend Walter: perfect for all fans of Horrible Histories!

£3.995
FREE Shipping

RRP: £7.99
Price: £3.995
£3.995 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

This was a good book, I do enjoy Morpurgo’s books but this wasn’t one of his best. Gave me mixed feeelings and for ages 8* Remember Sir Walter Raleigh, who laid his cloak in a puddle so Queen Elizabeth I could walk across? Well, Bess meets his ghost and finds out she’s his ancestor! David Wood, chair of Action for Children’s Arts, said Morpurgo is “one of our greatest storytellers”.

Bess is a young girl who has no friends. She lives in her family's farm, with her older brother, younger brother, parents, Gran, and not forgetting her cheeky dog! Then one day, and invitation comes in the mail, written in curiously messy handwriting, inviting the family to a gathering at the Tower of London. Her auntie has recieved an invitation too, so because her Gran has a medical appointment, Bess tags along with her. This was planned for a Year 4 class with a high percentage of SEND children in a mainstream setting working significantly below the expected standard for Year 4. However, the lesson has enough of a challenge to engage the higher attaining pupils and could easily be adapted for an older or younger year group. This book is amazing it is highly recommended for kids over 6 because it does have some smoking that some parents may not like there children reading when they are six or under. It also may scare some children because there’s a ghost that was executed and that comes up quite a lot in the story. If you like scary and comedy and fantasy then this is your book. I enjoyed this book so much that I didn’t hear my mum tell me to turn my light off and go to bed. My favourite character is definitely Walter he is very friendly and is a mystery until further into the books. Why he stole the Crown Jewels still baffles me and also why he put them in a young girls room wow The family are given a large sum of money as a reward for finding them, and with that money, they buy another farm. Walter was right you see. Everything did turn out all right!

Find a Scheme of Work

My Friend Walter is a children's fiction novel by Michael Morpurgo. It was first published in Great Britain by William Heinemann in 1988. [1] The book was shortlisted for the 1989 Smarties Prize.

This article about a children's novel of the 1980s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it. Then Bess meets a man, who introduces himself as Walter Raleigh! She;s an ancestor of him, a descendent, and Bess then decides to bring him home with her.A hilarious tale of history come to life, from former children’s laureate and master storyteller, Michael Morpurgo. In November 2016 Michael Morpurgo won the J M Barrie Award for his contribution to children’s literature.This award is given every year by Action for Children’s Arts to a “children’s arts practitioner” whose lifetime’s work has delighted children and will stand the test of time. Delightful and heart warming tale of a distant descendent of Sir Walter Raleigh, meeting his ghost! And as a result an even more amazing story emerges from this meeting. Another great book by this fantastic children's author! 7 out of 12, Three Star read. A delightfully exciting and witty adventure that interweaves elements of history - Sir Walter Raleigh comes into the present as a ghost and wreaks havoc and fun with a family! - into a fun and gripping story which children will love. Ocr_converted abbyy-to-hocr 1.1.20 Ocr_module_version 0.0.17 Openlibrary OL7969333M Openlibrary_edition

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop